Learning & Development Manager
Are you an experienced, high-performing and creative L&D professional with the desire to work in a future-facing, innovative and collaborative environment? Would you like to play a leading a role in supporting the firm's talent strategy that includes ensuring that all our people have access to world-class training and development opportunities?
CMS is a Future Facing firm. With 75 offices in 43 countries and 4,800+ lawyers worldwide, we combine deep sector understanding with a global overview, giving us the ability not only to see what's coming, but to shape it.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. Our bold approach to a changing future ensures that we nurture our employees and recruit top talent.
About the role
The L&D Function is part of the firm's HR Function, headed by the Head of L&D, who is based in London. The L&D function supports all partners & employees globally, working alongside our internal stakeholders & our external consultants who we partner with to design and deliver world-class professional skills training programmes, development programmes, coaching, and other career development activities for all of our people. Reporting to the Head of L&D, the role will be responsible for, but not limited to;
- Supporting the Head of L&D with the implementation of & engagement with the firm's L&D strategy and the L&D curriculum
- Providing strategic advice and overseeing the promotion, management and delivery of our L&D curriculum to ensure provision of a seamless development journey for all in the firm, aligning with the firm's strategy and our CMS competency framework
- Partnering with our HR Business Partners and other key internal stakeholders to ensure L&D needs are met across our Practice Groups, regions and Business Services teams.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with key stakeholders including across the wider HR function (e.g. Early Talent Development team, Diversity & Inclusion team & our HR Business Partners, Advisors and Assistants); and also with the Practice Group Leaders, Professional Support Lawyers, the Innovation Team, the BD team, the Finance team & the Procurement team)
- Observing, reviewing and appraising the content & training delivery by our external consultants
- Designing, facilitating and/or delivering various training courses & talent programmes from time to time
- Supporting the implementation & management of various firm-wide mentoring programmes
- Supporting the design, implementation & management of the firm's apprenticeship programmes
- Supporting the management of the firm's coaching panel & the culture of coaching within the firm
- Scoping, designing, delivering, and evaluating various development projects and initiatives as they arise, including L&D technology projects
- Bringing up to date L&D thought leadership into the function to ensure our approach is future facing and strategic,
- Supporting the Head of L&D with the management & development of the L&D function's staff at advisor and co-ordinator level
- Ensuring that all L&D content on the intranet, brochures, webpages and content across the firm is up to date and consistent
- Assisting with the management of the L&D budget & the scheduling of programmes
- Producing management information & data analysis for various programmes and practice groups
Ideal candidates will be passionate about the learning and development of all people within a high-performing environment. This role will be suited to someone who has a sound knowledge of learning styles, experience in course design & delivery, and who is confident & has gravitas while presenting on courses and in meetings.
They will understand the drivers & dynamics of a law firm/professional services environment, have strong communication skills and be adept at building relationships with key internal & external stakeholders, globally.
In addition to being a proactive team player with strong collaboration & facilitation skills, we are looking for someone who has strong managerial skills, has sound project management skills, high quality standards and a high level of attention to detail. A commitment to continuous improvement, self-awareness, curiosity, the ability to embrace change, and resilience will also be needed.
Qualifications & Experience
- Solid and proven relevant experience & track record in learning & development, preferably achieved within a professional services environment
- Psychometric qualifications desirable
- Coaching qualification desirable
- CIPD member or equivalent desirable
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We're diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive.
For further information about CMS' diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.