Senior Applications Developer (12 month contract)
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Applications Developer to join our Finance team on a 12 month contract. The purpose of this contract will be to build highly-performing enterprise solutions that increase staff productivity and improve financial performance by:
- Contributing to architecture strategy that improves code reuse, robustness and maintainability across all solutions.
- Designing technical solutions to meet functional specifications supplied by Business Analysts and other appropriate stakeholders.
- Creating clean and well-structured software in accordance with agreed standards and timescales.
- Testing code against specifications, ensuring it is error-free at delivery for user acceptance.
- Documenting development, both in codebase and in external materials, for technical and non-technical audiences.
Role and responsibilities
- Most development will be in-house customisation to the Allen & Overy practice management system, Elite 3E. (experience essential)
- Architect performant, scalable and robust system solutions using VB.Net, SQL and XML technologies including XSLT.
- Work collaboratively with Business Analysts and other functional experts to comprehend requirements and ensure all technical aspects of the project are delivered as planned.
- Ability to communicate effectively while leading complex business and technical discussions with people at all levels of the organisation.
- Identify potential technical risks at the documentation and design stages and mitigate against them by understanding the context of a solution and highlighting the impact of design decisions on Elite 3E and other systems.
- Produce structured, reusable code that has been subjected to code review and quality control processes.
- Ensure development best practices and coding standards are enforced and enhanced.
- Provide technical support for delivered software product to other development team members and members of the wider Global Finance 0Group.
- Liaise with external software suppliers (particularly Elite) to develop, implement and troubleshoot Elite 3E solutions and issues.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft tools and programming languages.
- Excellent knowledge of the .NET framework (Primarily VB.NET, C# train to VB.Net) and XML related technologies including XSLT and XPath.
- Strong background in database design, analysis and development.
- Awareness of current and future Microsoft technologies.
- Experience of multi-tier architected solutions.
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented methodologies.
- Ability to apply design patterns to create structured and efficient code.
- Strong technical awareness, able to pick up new skills quickly and with minimal training.
- Previous experience in the Finance or Legal industry would be advantageous.
- Microsoft MCSD would be advantageous.
- Must have Elite 3E IDE 2.7 or later development experience.
- Elite Design Gallery would be highly advantageous.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 – 2016
- Microsoft SQL Reporting Services 2012 would be highly advantageous.
- Experience of working with customisable 3rd party solutions would be advantageous.
- BizTalk 2010 would be advantageous.
- Azure DevOps knowledge
- Strong knowledge of software architecture and design and experience working in a development group that develops business-critical applications.
- High levels of numeracy and literacy that results in communications that are correctly targeted at the intended audience, whether written technical specifications or verbal discussion with key management stakeholders.
- Analytical and inquisitive mind with ability to diagnose and resolve user queries.
- Quality orientation evidenced by attention to detail and high work standards.
- Calm and positive attitude to a dynamic and often stressful environment.
- Ability to produce accurate time estimates for work to be undertaken and drive to ensure commitments are achieved.
- Focus on relationship management within a team: leading by example and sharing knowledge and experience.
- Proactive and self-motivated approach to organising time and handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.