Associate, Investment Funds
Investment Funds Associate
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's funds group is an award-winning highly ranked international funds practice. It operates from the UK, Luxembourg, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia, supported by a global network of tax and regulatory specialists.
The group advises some of the world's most ambitious fund managers, and leading international investors, on a wide range of private investment funds. Its work includes the structuring and formation of private equity, debt, infrastructure and real estate funds as well as carried interest and co-investment arrangements and acting for investors on both primary and secondary transactions.
The Ashurst investment funds group is consistently recognised as a thought leader and innovator within investment funds. This is demonstrated by the numerous awards the group has won including in recent years including Funds Team of the Year at the Lawyer Awards 2020, Private Equity Team of the Year - Funds at the British Legal Awards 2019, Law Firm of the Year - Europe at the Private Debt Investor Awards 2019 and 2018 and Law Firm of The Year - Fund Structuring at the Unquote British Private Equity Awards 2018.
The group delivers bespoke advice covering all aspects of funds: from cutting edge tax structuring to innovative commercial terms, from advising on leverage facilities to secondary transactions and management spin-outs.
The group has developed organically since the 1980s, and has a supportive and collegiate approach with a strong track record for associate career development.
"Ashurst LLP's 'standout' funds practice……..The well balanced team is praised for its 'sound, commercial legal advice, swift response, good strength in depth, and fair fees'" Legal 500
Ashurst combines the benefits of a leading funds practice with a supportive and collegiate environment. The firm is looking to make a long term investment in a strong lawyer who is similarly looking to make a long term career commitment to investment funds.
The candidate should be an ambitious lawyer, with demonstrable experience in a funds-related role at another major law firm. Ashurst has a proven track record in developing funds associates, and the vacancy represents an outstanding opportunity for a team-player with strong technical skills and a commercial approach to progress.
- Take day to day responsibility for client matters and actively progress complex matters with close partner support. You will be able to demonstrate well developed drafting skills, preparing legal documentation, including private placement memoranda and fund agreements.
- Demonstrate confident and effective negotiation skills, able to conduct commercial negotiations with investors, fund managers and other parties.
- Maintain close client contact, including assisting with commercial advice on market practice and fund terms and with project management.
- Deploy effective communication with clients in order to understand their needs and how best to meet them. You will also have the ability to assist clients in arriving at practical and cost effective solutions.
- Demonstrate self-awareness and ability to identify when a team member needs support and be approachable for advice and to give constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate commercial acumen - be able to understand the way our business, competitors and clients are developing and work with the business development team to use this information to develop business opportunities. Build and maintain a network of business contacts.
- Proactively identify opportunities to introduce your clients to other offices and practice areas, working intelligently with partners, other lawyers and the business development team to exploit opportunities.
- Display excellent attention to detail, being able to identify inconsistencies or a misunderstanding of clients' needs.
- Reflect on your own strengths and weaknesses and work not only on your own development, but also mentor and develop junior associates.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified mid level lawyer with post-qualification experience at a major law firm
- Experience at a law firm recognised for its investment funds practice in some or all of the above areas of work
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment
- An adaptable person who is a fast learner, with experience of dealing with multiple jurisdictions
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counterparts
- A commercial approach.