Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and a clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's tax department forms part of the firm’s Strategic Advisory Division and advises on a wide range of general corporate and commercial tax matters, both domestic and cross-border.
Reflecting the firm’s key practice strengths and diverse client base, our work has a particular focus on:
- Real estate, acting for developers, financiers and investors;
- Funds, acting for investors, sponsors and management teams across all asset classes;
- Corporate, from listed company work to private equity;
- Infrastructure and oil and gas; and
- Financial transactions, including derivatives, structured products, note programmes, all types of loan transactions and restructurings.
A substantial part of our business involves supporting and working with other practice areas across the firm but an increasing proportion is standalone advisory work, including contentious and tax litigation matters.
We form part of the firm’s international tax practice with expertise in the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain and Australia.
We pride ourselves on having a wide and general tax practice and on being adaptable, pragmatic and constructive.
This is an exciting opportunity for a junior tax lawyer to join a collegiate and growing team offering high quality tax work across a broad range of practice areas and excellent career development and responsibility.
Essential skills and experience:
- Junior (6 months-2 PQE) tax lawyer with experience in an international law firm
- Excellent technical and analytical skills across advisory and transactional work
- Constructive and pragmatic approach to problem solving and negotiation
- A desire to build on client relationships and develop own client network
- An ability to manage projects and transactions, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers
- An enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills
- Dedicated to understanding clients' needs, including their industries and the commercial challenges and opportunities they face, and delivering a first class service
- Enthusiasm for the subject area
- A proactive and organised individual, who enjoys working in a team
- Advising corporate and commercial clients on tax matters in a domestic and international context
- Advising on some or all of the following: investment funds and carry and co-investment planning, real estate, private equity, management and executive incentive plans, oil and gas, infrastructure, financing transactions (including derivatives and structured products), contentious tax matters
- Drafting structure papers
Oxford Properties, Berkeley Homes, Westfield, Interserve, Inflexion, ICG, Barclays, JP Morgan, Tritax, Syngenta, Macquarie
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Secondment opportunities come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe and occasionally with clients.