International Finance Manager
Our ambition, your journey.
We encourage you to reach your full potential. To explore the opportunities and choices that shape your individual career journey.
Here, personal growth goes hand in hand with professional development in a supportive culture.
No two careers - or two people - are the same at DLA Piper. You can be yourself in a diverse team where every voice is heard and your success is recognised.
DLA Piper is an international law firm, looking to recruiting an International Finance Manager (IFM) to join our Finance team based in our Sheffield office. The role is part of an operational team who work closely together, and currently reports through to the Head of Commercial Support, although this may change in the medium term.
The team have overall responsibility for the Profit and Loss account and work with management to ensure that the firm's financial performance is better than budget and in line with strategic objectives around profitability improvement. They achieve this by supporting the management teams of 7 practice groups, representing the different areas of law serviced by our lawyers, with each IFM allocated group(s) to partner with. In addition the team also partners with the Service Areas (support functions) and are the key contact within the Finance department for the Service Directors.
The firm is split across seven practice groups, each with a presence throughout the International offices. Each group is a separate area of law with its own management structure. Each Service Director heads a support function each of which require coordinated finance support to different degrees. The successful candidate will adopt a combination of practice group(s) and service area(s).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing the budgeting and reforecasting process for the practice groups and service areas, this involves holding detailed discussions with each budget holder and updating the budget model, and regular reforecasts
- Monthly reporting for the Executive and Board, highlighting key issues for discussion and proposing actions/solutions
- Attending practice group management meetings to discuss key financial issues, performance against core KPIs and propose actions/solutions
- Working on ad-hoc projects with a specific group, this can include reviews of a particular client/sector, developing business plans, (and tracking future performance against these), preparing financial modelling for assessment of team restructure/new hires and analysis of promotion business cases
- Providing finance support to Service Directors and meeting with them to help them understand the key financial issues they need to address. Liaise with budget holders to support their understanding of their results and work with them to monitor costs
- Analysing monthly management information (including performance statistics), identifying problems/issues, highlighting these to the team concerned along with workable solutions
- Involvement in delivering the career academy training programme for fee earners and the preparation and assessment of candidates at the partner selection centre
- Professional Accounting qualification
- Possess a high level of commercial acumen and analytical and numeracy skills
- Business partnering experience
- Strategic thinking/planning
- Effective communication skills including the ability to: present and discuss financial information to a group of up to 40 people and engage and influence senior management
- Proven experience of delivering on simultaneous tasks
- Excellent Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills
- Great team working skills and a passion for delivering results
- Demonstrating a flexible and collaborative working style across functions and geographies
- Able to work independently and adapt to change
- Ability to judge and manage priorities effectively and work to tight timescales
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.