Associate - aosphere - Data Privacy
aosphere LLP is an affiliate of A&O and produces market leading web-based legal and compliance management products currently focused on derivatives, shareholding disclosure, marketing restrictions and data privacy. aosphere’s products are used by over 500 institutions and over 15,000 users worldwide including most leading banks and 80% of the top 20 world’s largest asset managers. Its flagship products include netalytics, CSAnalytics, diligence and the Rulefinder product range. aosphere LLP is at the forefront of legal innovation and has featured 13 times in the prestigious Financial Times Innovative Lawyers report. aosphere is also a pioneer within A&O in the use of flexible working arrangements. The legal team is based in London and Belfast.
Work is well underway with creating the content for a major new aosphere product which covers data privacy law and regulatory requirements across multiple jurisdictions around the world. We are seeking to recruit a lawyer with at least 3 years’ experience, including experience in data privacy issues, on a permanent basis to bolster the team of 5 lawyers which is currently working on this exciting new initiative. The role will involve negotiating new legal surveys to add to the jurisdictional coverage of the new data privacy product, updating existing surveys, creating and updating colour-coded reports for on-line publication, monitoring developments and issuing client alerts alongside inputting into the evolution of the product, marketing, dealing with queries from subscribers and A&O team, and attending conferences. The successful lawyer will be part of a team of lawyers based in London and in Belfast and will liaise with local counsel around the world.
Role and responsibilities
- Commissioning and negotiating new content and updating content of existing reports. This involves commissioning surveys from counsel in multiple jurisdictions, negotiating and agreeing content to ensure high quality, practical and consistent content across jurisdictions, summarising key issues in reports and administrative work for finalise survey documents and on-screen presentation. The ability to push surveys to conclusion in a timely manner and to reduce long and complex narratives into concise, accurate, consistent summaries is essential.
- Monitoring developments and issuing client alerts within a short time period.
- Inputting into the evolution of the product.
- Supporting marketing activities and providing support and training to existing subscribers
- Equivalent of at least 2 years’ experience advising frequently on data privacy issues, demonstrating a strong understanding and interest in data privacy legal and practical issues.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, with the ability to analyse significant volumes of information and so ensure that information presented to clients is of high quality, addresses the questions identified, is practical and consistent.
- Strong written communications skills, with the ability to operate within drafting and scope guidelines.
- Excellent English
- Manage time and work load independently
- Ability to work to deadlines: deadlines for updating and issuing new content and alerts are critical.
- Efficient at document production (including direct use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe).
- Ability to work remotely from other team members and communicate with team by e-mail /phone/ IM etc.
- We operate a peer review system. The team member must be able to take comments from team members on work and also able to constructively provide comments to other team members on work.
- Experience in negotiating surveys with counsel in other jurisdictions
- Experience in online legal information services would be helpful
- Strong presentation skills
Who we are looking for
The position would appeal to a lawyer wishing to continue to work at a level of service which produces top quality work for demanding clients but without the unpredictability of transactional work. All necessary training to ensure the successful candidate is fully involved in supporting the business at the earliest opportunity will be provided. Opportunity to work flexibly including part-time arrangements and working from home on selected days.