Lead Infrastructure Architect
We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Infrastructure Architect to join our London office. The Infrastructure Architect is a senior role within the Architecture function and is responsible for definition, product selection, design, development and planning for all aspects of the A&O Infrastructure estate. They play a key role in working with internal stakeholders and external suppliers to influence and define the strategic direction and approach for all aspects of this estate. They will work with multiple initiatives and projects at a time having responsibility for taking functional requirements and translating these in to architecture and design artefacts. Post design they assume a design authority role within the governance of projects and programme delivery.
We are currently in the process of reviewing and modernising the Infrastructure platform to reflect the need for a more agile service that supports greater use of public and private cloud services. This role will be integral to the delivery of this process.
Members of the Architecture function are expected to be consultative in areas within their own competencies and exhibit an understanding of how their domain technologies fit within, influence and help deliver the wider IT service. This role will maintain their existing knowledge as well as keep up to date with new technologies and working practices with a view on their relevance to A&O and how these may be leveraged to benefit the organisation. They will deputise for the Lead Infrastructure Architect in their absence.
Role and responsibilities
- Challenges the status quo, identifies opportunities in existing and emerging technologies and takes ownership to improve IT services.
- Provides technical thought leadership to ensure we develop and procure the right technologies and services through proactively developing technology roadmaps.
- Assists in defining the project portfolio, providing business case information such as justification, benefits, resourcing and budgetary profiles.
- Technically lead major change programmes and initiatives to bring about effective change.
- Defines Architectural standards and ensures alignment through chairing the Architecture Design and domain specific Design Authority boards.
- Understands business priorities and how the IT service feeds in to and delivers upon these, and more importantly where there is a mismatch or improvement to be made.
- Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring all strategy, architecture, standards, patterns, principles and roadmap outputs are published and understood by the relevant teams.
- Works with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed in alignment with Architectural standards and principles and are implemented to design.
- In conjunction with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals, quickly resolves any technical design issues that may arise applying an architectural approach and following our principles so that progress is not delayed.
- Keeps up to date with trends and developments in all relevant technologies and is able to state the benefits these may bring to the organisation.
- Act, where necessary, as the Technical Lead role on IT projects. This will include:
- Willingness to get into the detail of projects and lead direction on projects and products
- Analysis of business/information requirements and architect solutions to support those requirements;
- Provide analysis for technical alternatives, and technical risk analysis for proposed systems;
- Creation of high-level solution designs that address the needs of key stakeholders from the business, solution delivery and operational areas;
- Ensuring relevant teams are aware of the technologies being implemented and the implications, i.e. enhancing the collaboration between teams that are involved in the successful delivery of projects.
- Provide technical expertise and support for service management in the resolution of complex incidents and problems.
- Assist in the transition of products and services into operational use.
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology. The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Having an open mind to consider all alternatives when making technology decisions.
- Develops excellent working relationships across the breadth of the IT function and effectively shares knowledge between individuals and teams to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to present at a level suitable to the audience.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- An understanding of a global environment within multiple jurisdictions and an appreciation of the challenges this may bring.
- Expected to have mastery of at least one infrastructure domain at Enterprise scale.
- In depth knowledge with regards to protecting application and data through implementation of infrastructure solutions to meet business resilience and recovery requirements.
- In depth knowledge of datacentre infrastructure and how to transform and operate these in a hybrid environment.
- Design level knowledge of defining and deploying infrastructure for on premise, private, public and hybrid cloud and knowing when to leverage each.
- Design level knowledge of Microsoft and Linux based hosts and their supporting eco systems.
- Knowledge and experience of deploying Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Knowledge and experience of working in continuous delivery environments and an understanding of the tool stack that supports this operating model.
- A solid understanding and active working experience of technologies utilised in a hybrid datacentre and public cloud model.
- Understanding of advanced network concepts and how this critical layer supports the delivery of services.
- Understand modern security requirements and the need to provide protection at the infrastructure layer for applications and data.
- Understanding of current IT market and trends, their maturity level and how they benefit the organisation.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
History of working within medium to large, globally diverse, organisations reflecting the seniority of this role.
Significant experience of selecting, designing and hands on deliver of Infrastructure solutions that support application and data availability within a global Enterprise.
Significant experience of technically leading large projects as part of a team with the confidence and knowledge to influence technical direction.
Significant experience designing and delivering Microsoft Azure services, leveraging Infrastructure as Code and associated tooling.
Proven experience of communicating with senior stakeholders and interpreting complex technical solutions through the use of simple language.
Proven experience of developing comprehensive technical documentation, including Technical Design documents, Infrastructure diagrams, support transition guides and other project related documentation.
Design and Technical lead with hands on experience within multiple Azure migration programmes.
Design and hands on delivery of solutions based on the full Microsoft stack within Private, Public and Hybrid cloud environments.
Design and hands on delivery of virtualisation and container technologies such as VMWare, Docker and Kubernetes.
Design and hands on delivery of Enterprise storage based on HPE, NetApp, Brocade and Nexsan.
Design and hands on delivery of Enterprise data protection solutions based on Commvault.
People manager with experience in providing an environment that presents opportunities and encourages personal develop.
Proven experience of influencing and driving forward the cloud adoption agenda.
Design and hands on delivery of Linux Distributions such as Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise and CentOS.
Design and hands on delivery of networking technologies such as WAN optimisation, switches, SD-WAN, Firewalls and load balancers based on Cisco, Riverbed and Citrix.
Exposure to working within or with a regulated industry and an understanding of the compliance and security challenges
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.