Senior Client & Business Development Manager 12 month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. We bring advisory, legal and delivery solutions to clients. To find out more please visit our website here
Business Area: Business Development - Ashurst Advance
Role: Senior Client & Business Development Manager - FTC
Reporting to: Head of Ashurst Advance and EMEA Director of Business Development
This role is responsible for leading our business development and client engagement efforts for our 'NewLaw' Division, within EMEA. The Senior Client & Business Development Manager is responsible for working with the leadership team to support the development and execution of the Ashurst Advance strategic Client and Business Development plan and for managing the effective execution of the go-to-market-strategy.
This role requires taking ownership of developing a clear understanding of our clients and their strategies, challenges and opportunities to ensure we are furthering our relationships for Ashurst Advance across senior client decision makers. To be successful, a strong understanding of a traditional law firm offering, practice group 'products' and 'NewLaw' products is essential.
This is a client and market facing role and also involves significant interaction with internal stakeholders across practice and industry lines.
Ashurst Advance is the award winning and rapidly growing 'NewLaw' division of Ashurst. Ashurst Advance provides dynamic solutions by innovating across three key elements of legal service delivery: process, resources and technology. We successfully combine the Ashurst Advance capabilities with our legal subject matter experts and Risk Advisory and Board Advisory experts in one fully integrated team to offer clients legal and advisory excellence with efficient delivery and digital enablement.
Our holistic methodology, focusing on process, resource and technology, allows us to tailor our approach to the matter in hand, ensuring the relevant specialists from each area are assigned to the right tasks.
Ashurst Advance has two business units: Ashurst Advance Delivery and Ashurst Advance Digital:
- Ashurst Advance Delivery provides dynamic solutions to our clients' efficiency challenges, focusing on three key areas of legal service delivery: people, process and technology. Our platform includes high quality but lower cost legal analysts, process specialists encompassing both legal project managers and legal process improvement managers, a flexible legal resourcing service and a team of eDiscovery professionals. We combine each of these elements with our Ashurst Advance Digital capability and our legal subject matter experts in the relevant field in a fully integrated team to offer our clients legal excellence with efficient delivery.
- Ashurst Advance Digital is our digital transformation unit where we create and distribute innovative digital products tailored to our clients' needs.
Strategy & Planning
- Work with the Ashurst Advance leadership team to develop the BD strategy to maximise opportunities to grow revenue in line with the firm's 2023 strategic plan
- Develop and lead strategic initiatives to meet the Division's strategic goals, evaluating progress on implementation
- Provide market information and analysis of financials and client insights to identify trends and opportunities to raise our profile and awareness in key markets
- Drive the promotion of Ashurst Advance products and services and the management, retention, growth and development of an Ashurst Advance client network amongst our Priority Clients, utilising best practice and key account management strategies
- Support increased engagement with the Ashurst Advance client network, through identifying and following up on opportunities for growing revenue
- Represent Ashurst Advance in the client relationship teams for each Priority Client, feeding back into the CRP/CRM/team any learnings and opportunities from the client network, ensuring that Ashurst Advance is on the agenda and helping to drive the transformation of the client planning process
- Establish, develop and maintain strong relationships with key Ashurst Advance decision makers at clients (i.e. those people whose roles cover the Ashurst Advance areas of operation - typically Legal COOs, legal operations professionals, innovation and digital innovation officers within in-house legal functions etc). Build relationships by circulating amongst these clients, maintaining and leading a dialogue on legal operations issues, understanding their tactical and strategic goals and ensuring that all new business opportunities are identified and progressed in a timely manner
- Engage with the Client Listening programme by conducting and capturing client feedback through client listening, matter and pitch debriefs
- Manage and support the entire opportunity pursuit process, including identifying opportunities, managing tracking processes, preparing client-focused sales collateral and coordinating partners around pipelines
- Collaborate with other practice and industry CRMs and BDMs to identify cross-selling opportunities
- Provide strategic advice on Ashurst Advance pitches, supporting the Bids team as required, with a particular focus on those involving Priority Clients
- Develop and implement integrated campaigns, thought leadership, events and other market facing activities, working collaboratively with the firm's specialist teams, to raise our profile in key markets
- Develop and manage the Ashurst Advance BD budget, monitoring spend and capturing ROI
- Maintain good knowledge of Ashurst Advance products and services and keep up to date with advances in cutting edge digital innovation
- Share knowledge across the wider BD&M team and contribute to functional and firm-wide training programmes
- Contribute to the delivery of growth targets and client KPIs for Ashurst Advance as set by the Division Head.
- Manage more junior members of the team, supporting their career development and ensuring performance is in line with expectations
- Contribute to the internal and external communications strategy for Ashurst Advance including the Social Media plan
- Drive integration and engagement with other practice groups and lines of service
Essential skills and experience:
- An understanding of legal practices, products and the legal competitive landscape, gained from previous experience within the legal sector
- Demonstrates a strong knowledge and understanding of the changing legal market, including new and alternative legal service providers and the influence of legal technology
- Successful track record of growing and developing strong client and market relationships
- Significant front line Business Development experience - ideally, will have worked within in a law firm environment
- Experience leading significant client accounts
- Strong interpersonal skills with polite, friendly and diplomatic manner
- Demonstrable communication/presentation skills, previous client facing meeting and presentational experience at a senior level within large organisations
- Ability to articulate and convey information in a clear and compelling manner in writing and in person
- Commercially minded, numerate and comfortable in discussions with senior stakeholders about financial matters, including pricing and profitability
- Good knowledge of how cutting edge technology can be applied in the legal field and how process and technology can be translated into efficiency opportunities in clients' teams Knowledge of legal documentation
- Excellent negotiation skills
- The ability to generate ideas
- The ability to prioritise and manage several different tasks at once