Project Manager – 12 month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Area - IT Projects Team
Role: Project Manager 12 month FTC
Reporting to: Global Projects and Portfolio Manager
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 09:30 - 17:30. You may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations.
Department/ Role Overview:
Project manage a variety of Ashurst Advance Digital/IT based projects for the firm, assisting in bringing to life the innovative ideas being formed within that space.
Ashurst Advance are at the forefront of the firm's efforts to develop technology-based solutions to our clients. Their projects will involve deploying and utilising new, modern, legal technology solutions and have led to the firm winning numerous industry awards for innovation in the delivery of legal services.
- Lead and direct project teams, globally where necessary, to ensure timely delivery of projects facilitating business initiatives, keeping within budget and managing risk to the firm
- Manage large, complex projects end-to-end, from requirements gathering, contract negotiation, development and testing through to implementation and handover to the operations and support teams (where necessary)
- Manage internal and external project communications to all levels of stakeholders, both business and technical
- Where required, liaise with the infrastructure architects to ensure that the IT solutions and their supporting infrastructure fully support the business requirements
- Carry out business analysis where required
- Create and manage project plans and documentation
- Estimate and manage project budgets
- Manage, monitor and motivate cross-functional project teams
- Conduct project presentations and compile reports
- Manage third parties and suppliers
- Ensure projects are delivered and run in such a way that they meet industry leading quality standards, following the firm's methodology
Measurement and Review:
- Implement projects within agreed timescales and budget
- Achievement of above tasks
- Feedback from other team members
- Appraisal/Performance and development review
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years' experience as a project manager, with a proven track record of successfully managing and leading global projects through the full project life cycle in a professional services company, ideally a law firm.
- Experience managing projects, ideally with an application development or software product development scope, within both an agile and waterfall methodology
- Strong planner and with ability to spot tenuous links and dependencies
- Working within a structured project framework
- Good understanding of soft skills involved in successful management of projects and team motivation
- Able to manage teams remotely in a global context.
- A good eye for detail; ability to work accurately and effectively even when under pressure
- Able to learn and understand current business processes and help to model new processes/procedures
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of all elements of the project lifecycle
- Able to listen and understand customer requirements
- Able to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Able to liaise at a senior level within the firm
- Able to challenge and motivate others
- Assist with research and evaluation of software solutions from 3rd party suppliers and production of necessary deliverables such as tender documents, liaising with suppliers
- Experience of managing and developing productive working relationships with vendors
- Tactful and diplomatic when in pressured situations
- Excellent presentation, written and communication skills
- Uses initiative - 'can do' approach
- Client focused
Desirable skills and experience:
Familiarity with some or all of the following:
- Experience of project management roles within the digital space.
- Prince 2 or similar project methodologies
- MS Office implementations
- Integration projects
- Microsoft environments - Windows 10, .Net, SQL Server, MS Project