Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Area: Change & Business Improvement
Role: Programme Manager
Reporting to: Director of Change & Business Improvement
Hours of work:
Full time Monday to Friday (part time considered)
Programme Manage the development and execution of the firm's key strategic revenue growth projects (new offices, joint ventures and new business lines) - from the assessment of each opportunity and management of the approval process, to the design and execution of each project and finally to the management, tracking and reporting of projects in their first year of life. This team is closely integrated into each of the firm's functions and works closely and collaboratively with each department to execute their responsibilities.
Provide essential support to the Head of Strategic Projects, taking on key responsibility for the execution of the firm's strategic projects to help elevate the business to the next level of growth.
Working with the Head of Strategic Projects, Jas Thorpe, to support in the assessing, scoping, designing and delivering of complex commercial projects on time and on budget to drive profitable revenue growth for the firm.
The main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Supporting on the scoping, analysis and assessment of new business opportunities against a set of key financial and other criteria.
- Assisting in drafting reports and presentations which deliver recommendations in respect of prospective opportunities for consideration by the Executive Team and the Board.
Project Scoping and Design
- Using a problem-solving approach and working collaboratively across functions to design the operational blueprint for each new business.
- Together with the Office of General Counsel and financial management colleagues, instructing local counsel and other professional services firms, as well as conducting research and developing required knowledge directly, to assist in scoping each project.
- Developing and utilising strong working relationships across all business functions to assist in the scoping, designing and costing of each project.
- Utilising your knowledge of the firm and how it operates (which you will build over time and by always having a curious mindset), along with external legal, regulatory and tax advice, you will assist in finding solutions to complex problems.
- Working closely with project managers and utilising your own excellent project management capabilities to manage project workstreams, prioritise numerous tasks efficiently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Reviewing and drafting contracts and assisting the Head of Strategic Projects in negotiations with third party suppliers and investment partners.
- Tracking progress and success against agreed targets and drafting and presenting progress reports to key stakeholders.
Please note: This role is unlikely to be suitable for someone who needs a large team to produce great work at pace. You will be expected to have the capability and desire to undertake many of your duties yourself. This is a hands-on role, requiring a can-do attitude.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with the following skills and experience:
- A very organised, structured and detail oriented person, able to juggle multiple tasks and manage priorities while maintaining a great level of attention to detail.
- Responsibility, autonomy, enthusiasm, humility, drive and a willingness to learn are also key characteristics required to be successful in this role.
- A sound understanding of the global legal/professional services market or at least the ability to demonstrate relevant transferable knowledge and capacity to learn fundamentals rapidly.
- Creative capability to find innovative solutions to complex and diverse problems.
- High level of analytical skills, commercial awareness and interest in financial operation.
- Effective relationship builder, internally and externally.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- High integrity (given sensitivity of subject matter).
- Experience in working with main MS office applications (Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
Desired skills and experience
Each of the following skills or experiences would be an advantage but is not a pre-requisite:
- Proven track record of effectively planning and assisting strategic initiatives.
- Financial literacy with specific reference to a law firm environment.
- This role would suit someone with experience in consulting or in an advisory role (be it in a legal or other professional services role) looking to move in-house.