Client Commitments Advisor - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: Risk & Compliance
Role: Client Commitments Advisor - 12 Month FTC
Reporting to: Supervisor, Client Commitments
Hours of work:
Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.30pm, however you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties including out of core business hours.
This role involves working closely with a number of functions across the firm on a project of strategic importance to the Firm. The role is key to help drive the strategy and delivery of global services in line with the business plan of the Firm. The position is by its nature a global role; it will also involve working to local regulatory requirements as required.
The Risk & Compliance function is commercially minded and focuses on adding value to the business as well as the clients, as illustrated by the digital product and advisory offerings designed and maintained by the function to benefit our clients.
The successful candidate will:
- be pivotal in managing the implementation of clients commitments across our business;
- be expected to ensure the suitability of solutions to the business and our clients; and
- be tasked to further develop relationships with our key stakeholders on a continuous basis.
The main responsibility will be working closely with the Client Commitments Manager and a number of other functions, in particular IT, on a project to assess the feasibility of rolling out further cloud based solutions.
This will predominantly involve the review and analysis of several hundred contracts with clients, the careful documentation of any relevant findings and the detailed analysis of obligations the Firm has agreed to.
It will also likely include the review of certain laws and regulations and the analysis of developments in relation to data sovereignty, data residency and data localisation across the globe with particular focus on where Ashurst has offices.
At times, the role may also involve:
- The negotiation of contracts drafted by clients (outside counsel guidelines, framework agreements, non-disclosure agreements etc.) to ensure they are aligned with the Firm's strategy, where necessary with the assistance of other functions in the firm;
- Commenting on and discussing with Partners, fee earners and clients any changes to the Firm's standard terms of business and engagement letter; and
- The review and negotiation of contracts with certain suppliers to the firm, whilst considering the Firm's strategy, commercial aspects and commitments made to clients to ensure they flow through the Firm's supply chain. Necessary guidance documents will be provided.
Work collaboratively across legal and business services teams to maintain standards relating to the procedures, efficiency and communication with respect to client commitments.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Expertise in the review and negotiation of contracts, with particular focus on standard contracts drafted by clients when they engage law firms and/or standard contracts drafted by law firms for engagement with clients.
- Expert understanding on the partnership model and the challenges faces by today's legal industry.
- Track record of strategic and/or tactical decision making and negotiation; ability to put an argument across in a clear, articulate way showing sound business acumen to the partnership, senior management or clients of the firm.
- Discrete and professional in handling sensitive, confidential situations and deals.
- Strong organisational and research skills, attention to detail and able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Flexible and able to adapt to new situations, processes and technology.
- Legal qualification with strong relevant experience in contract review.