Supervising / Managing Associate - Financial Services Derivatives
Simmons & Simmons is a leading international law firm, providing clients with commercially aware legal advice, whenever and wherever they need it. We have over 1,600 people situated in key business and financial centres across Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
We understand that our firm is equal only to the strengths of our people and place great emphasis on recruiting and retaining staff who meet our high standards. Our philosophy for international growth has been to build practices around local teams who understand the culture, business and languages of the countries and regions in which we operate. In doing so, we believe that we have succeeded in developing a closely knit and cohesive network that meets local business needs as part of a global service.
Our business services groups provide integrated support for our global operations. The firm is organised in line with our clients' requirements into key practice areas and sector groups. Our sector focus allows us to better appreciate the environment in which our clients operate and to work with them to achieve their objectives. Our client base includes leading financial institutions and a significant number of FTSE 350 and Fortune Global 500 companies.
Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients' needs. Our industry sectors are: Financial Institutions, Asset Management & Investment Funds, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT) and Fintech. We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working. The core practice areas, from which we draw our sector teams, are: corporate, dispute resolution, employment, pensions & employee benefits, EU, competition & regulatory, financial markets, information, communications & technology, intellectual property, projects, real estate and tax.
Simmons & Simmons has a market leading Derivatives practice (ranked Tier 1 in Legal 500). We hold a unique position amongst the other premier law firms operating in this sector in that not only do we advise investment banks, but also act as the adviser of choice to highest profile end-users in the European derivatives market, including the largest hedge fund and institutional asset managers.
We are seeking an energetic and ambitious Supervising Associate or Managing Associate to join this leading buy-side Derivatives team, which is an integral part of our award winning asset management and investment funds practice.
You will be actively encouraged to develop your own personal relationships with clients and supported in marketing and business development activities.
You will have exposure to a wide variety of work, including:
- Reviewing and negotiating the full spectrum of derivative and trading documentation for hedge fund and other asset management clients
- Providing strategic advice to buy-side clients on all regulatory change projects impacting the derivatives and trading market market, including EMIR, SFTR, Securitisation Regulation, SFDR, MiFID2, BMR,BRRD and IBOR transition.
- Supporting clients in their implementation of UMR initial margin projects for Phases 5 and 6.
- Drafting netting and collateral enforceability opinions and reviews.
- Advising on UCITS asset eligibility and AIFMD requirements impacting portfolio transactions.
- Drafting and negotiating custody documentation (including the application of client money and assets rules / CASS), IMAs, TMAs and prime brokerage agreements.
- Collaborating with fund lawyers on fund prospectuses and other fund documentation.
- Drafting or reviewing derivative hedging instruments for financing transactions.
- Partnering with industry bodies such as AIMA, the Investment Association, EFAMA and ISDA.
- Project management of large-scale cross-border advisory projects.
Candidates will ideally have 4+ years' PQE with experience in buy-side derivatives gained at a leading law firm or in-house. There is no upper limit on expected PQE, and we would welcome a range of applications at all levels beyond 4+ years.
The successful candidate must be:
- Conscientious and ambitious
- Agreeable but prepared to question and challenge.
- Innovative - bringing fresh ideas and open to new ways of working