Business Development Executive (Healthcare and Life Sciences)
Simmons & Simmons have an exciting new opportunity for a Business Development Executive to join our Marketing & Business Development department in London.
Working closely with fee earners across the Healthcare and life sciences (HLS) sector and other members of the M&BD team, the Business Development Executive for HLS will support the execution of marketing and business development initiatives across the sector under the supervision of the HLS Sector Lead.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Develop sector industry expertise and share knowledge within the M&BD team and HLS network: The individual in this role must develop a high level of knowledge about the type of products and services offered by our HLS sector groups and demonstrate an avid interest in developing sector industry knowledge. There is a requirement to spend a significant amount of time reading sector specific industry news, learning about our capabilities and obtaining an overview of the legal and regulatory developments with a view to understanding the issues impacting clients (pharmaceutical companies, medical devices, consumer health companies, innovative start-ups, associations)
- BD and marketing execution: deliver high quality day-to-day tactical M&BD to HLS sector fee earners under the supervision of the HLS Sector Lead. Specific tasks will include:
- supporting the development of new product offerings, working with partners and M&BD to define the benefits of the new products and the most effective routes to market (i.e. via sector marketing campaigns and client development activities);
- supporting the ongoing activities of specific sub-sector groups, covering BD and marketing planning and the execution of specific initiatives;
- under the supervision of the relevant Sector Lead contribute to the BD sector planning and budgeting process, as required, and then work with the relevant fee earners and Sector Lead to implement the plan. Ensure correct budget sign-off procedures are followed for unplanned activities;
- regularly interact with and provide support to international offices where the sector is particularly active or where the office is striving to develop the sector.
- profile raising, communications and CRM. Contribute to the formulation of the sector's internal and external communications strategies (including digital strategy, events) and then implement accordingly, ensuring best practice is observed;
- assist in strengthening the firm's reputation across the HLS sector through the identification of speaking, advertising and media opportunities (in conjunction with the central Comms team), as well as oversee the project management of directory and award submissions as necessary;
- work with the M&BD Hub and sector fee earners to develop high quality written content including communications, factsheets, webpages and intranet pages, including their production and maintenance while ensuring best practice is observed;
- assist sector fee earners with sector specific tenders, including conducting a bid / no bid process, managing the logistics of the pitch process for any assigned pitches, gathering of relevant material and information and writing formal responses.
- Client relationship management: assist the HLS Sector Lead to manage and develop any Strategic and Priority clients for which they are responsible.
- Reporting:assist HLS Sector Lead in preparing updates on key trends and opportunities for the Leadership team and other departments or regional teams. contribute to brainstorming discussions on how we can develop the opportunities highlighted.
- Engagement with the M&BD Hub: primary responsibility for briefing the M&BD Hub on commoditised, repeatable M&BD tasks. Acts as the conduit between the fee earners and the M&BD Hub. Performs a quality assurance role for products developed by the M&BD Hub and provides regular feedback to improve Hub processes.
Education / qualifications / experience
- Minimum of 1-2 years' industry, marketing or BD experience, with at least six months experience in a professional services firm preferred.
- University degree in business, marketing or related area. Professional marketing qualification is desirable.
Knowledge and technical skills
- Understands the legal industry (experience in HLS is an advantage).
- Commercial acumen.
- Has an ability to provide effective challenge to fee earners.
- End to end management of the pitch process. Can accurately and efficiently identify contributory material for pitches. Can work with fee earners to articulate USPs.
- Familiarity with CRM systems, document management systems, intranets, website etc.
- Experience in social media, PR, online services would be an advantage.