Business Analyst - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
About Ashurst Advance
Ashurst Advance is our "NewLaw" Division, transforming client service by continually evolving our legal services delivery in order to provide real value and help clients to achieve their business objectives in a highly cost effective way.
Ashurst Advance provides dynamic solutions by innovating across three key elements of legal service delivery: process, resources and technology. We successfully combine the Ashurst Advance capabilities with our legal subject matter experts in one fully integrated team to offer clients legal excellence with efficient delivery.
Business Area: Ashurst Advance
Role: Business Analyst (12 Month FTC)
Reporting to: Legal Transformation Programme Manager
Hours of work:
Monday to Friday, 09.00 - 17:30. You may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations. The ability to be flexible and regularly work a later/earlier shift to allow for some crossover with APAC offices is essential.
Working with the Ashurst Advance senior leadership team to facilitate delivery of a significant transformation programme in relation to how the firm, through each of its practice groups, delivers its legal services to clients.
This programme is a core part of the firm's business plan to 2023 to help drive performance, and will enable the firm to deliver highly competitive and market leading legal services. The individual will play a key role in enabling Ashurst Advance to deliver a complex global transformation of the operating model by which each practice group delivers its legal services to clients, from initiation to realisation of full benefits where there is a significant level of interdependency across workstreams. This person must demonstrate the ability to work across all levels of stakeholders and third parties within a high performance environment and with a relentless focus on deliverables. It will include analysis, documentation and streamlining of end to end business and legal processes.
- Research and lead identification of problem statements and opportunities including through workshops, interviews, shadowing, etc. with appropriate stakeholders, some of which may be in a different geographical location and/or time zone to yourself.
- Analyse, structure and group issues/opportunities appropriately to aid orderly and methodology driven solution design (which may involve technology, process re-design or use of alternative delivery resource). Support documentation of solution design.
- Analyse and model relevant data in order to understand the extent of a problem/opportunity (including estimating, documenting and monitoring of project cost/benefits (or cost/benefits across linked projects)) and the appropriate solution. Use the projected benefits to advise whether the project is a 'Go/No Go' before investing in delivery.
- Work with the Legal Process Improvement team to capture As-Is processes along with all interfaces, controls, inputs, outputs and costs.
- Capture and documentation of requirements (legal, business, functional and non-functional, data, etc.) using programme defined templates. Recommending prioritisation of requirements and approach to solution design.
- Identify stakeholders within the As-Is and To-Be processes to ensure all challenges and requirements are captured and can be verified with the appropriate users.
- Working with the Legal Process Improvement team to develop workable To-Be processes that deliver efficiencies, cost savings and global standardisation of working practice.
- Support the creation of legal and business procedures and related user documentation such as policies, playbooks, checklists and training materials.
- Oversee successful service transition of projects into business as usual with delivery of agreed benefits and appropriate business as usual ownership.
- Work with the Change Manager to ensure benefits are realised and adoption is in line with expectations.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Extensive experience as a business analyst working on process mapping, requirements gathering, streamlining processes, and implementing process efficiencies within a professional services company, ideally a law firm.
- Demonstrable experience of working on complex, large-scale business or legal transformation within a global organisation.
- Experience of identifying, gathering and using data (financial and otherwise) to analyse, provide insight, forecast and budget.
- Experience capturing, documenting, analysing and prioritising business, user, functional and non-functional requirements from multiple diverse parties across legal practice areas (front office) and business services (back office) functions.
- Strong planner with ability to spot tenuous links and critical process dependencies.
- Organised and able to prioritise diverse workload to meet deadlines within robust project framework.
- Working knowledge of different analysis techniques/methods, including requirements definition and specification.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with teams remotely in a global context.
- Demonstrate an ability to quickly understand the key component steps and interfaces within operational business processes and model new processes/procedures.
- Good attention to detail whilst being a logical thinker, clear communicator and possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of business process mapping methodology and disciplines.
- Very proficient in use of MS Office tools (especially Visio, Excel, Word & PowerPoint).
- Able to liaise and influence senior stakeholders within the firm.
- Tactful and diplomatic when in pressured situations, with ability to challenge and motivate others.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written, with an ability to bring clarity to an operational environment with complex influencing factors.
- Possesses strong customer mindset and a desire to deliver world-class service outcomes.
- Effective problem solving, planning and decision making skills in a complex environment.
Desired skills and experience
- Financial literacy/understanding of law firm financials and performance metrics.
- Experience of delivering change which is driven by technology solutions.
- Experience of managing business change within a shared services environment with strong focus on standardisation and optimisation.
- Strong understanding of Continuous Improvement and Project Management methodologies (i.e. Lean Six Sigma, Agile, PRINCE).