Life Sciences Senior Associate
Excellent opportunity for a commercial life sciences lawyer to join a future facing law firm.
About the role
Our Life Sciences/TMT groups have an opportunity for an industry-focused commercial lawyer to join our prestigious technology team and top-ranked sector group of over 80 life sciences specialists in the UK and 300 globally. The technology team operates as a seamless unit between the firm's offices in London, Bristol, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Glasgow, advising on a broad range of matters for clients ranging from large blue chip organisations to smaller commercial entities (including universities and charities).
The technology team advises across a number of sectors and this lawyer's focus would be life sciences, advising clients at every stage of the product life cycle, from intellectual property issues, collaboration arrangements, commercialisation and supply chain and life cycle management.
The role includes:
- Drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts such as collaboration, licensing, supply and distribution agreements;
- Involvement in a broad range of commercial, IP, IT and data protection advice;
- Providing efficient professional support for partners and team members;
- Developing professional relationships with clients;
- Supporting the wider group in developing business; and
- Involvement in marketing events.
- Degree/CPE/LPC/GDL (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of, and/or experience in, the life sciences sector
- Knowledge of IP, IT, technology and data protection issues in addition to having developed strong general commercial expertise
- Understanding of the life sciences regulatory regime would be helpful but is not essential
- Appropriate level of post qualification experience in a City, major Regional or leading international firm or industry in-house company, to meet the demands of the role we envisage this to be 3-7 year PQE but candidates outside of this may also be considered
- Experience and confidence in dealing directly with clients in major blue chip companies
- Excellent drafting skills and the ability to translate legal theory into practical advice
- Excellent analytical skills and experience of running your own files and assisting partners on more complex, higher value deals and transactions - Due to the role being client facing you will need to have sound judgment and good interpersonal and consultancy skills
CMS is an international law firm with leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond. We create sustainable and rewarding futures for our clients, our people and our communities.
Ranked as the world's 5th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in over 40 countries from 70+ offices worldwide.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
We offer a range of benefits to our employees! Benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- 25 days annual leave
- Flexible working opportunities
- Flexible holiday purchase
- Private Medical Health Insurance
- Pensions package
- Health & wellbeing incentives
- Cycle to work scheme
- Individual office perks
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status ("Protected Characteristics"). Click here to see our Equal Opportunities statement.
All job applicants will be treated fairly and judged solely on their merits. If you have a disability which is likely to affect you adversely within the application process, please let us know (as soon as you feel comfortable to do so) so that we can consider whether we can make any adjustments to the process that will allow you to be considered fairly for the role.
How to apply
If you are interested please apply online. If you have any queries please contact Holly Woodhouse, Talent Acquisition Advisor via email at Holly.Woodhouse@cms-cmno.com, for more information.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.