Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area - Risk & Compliance - Conflicts & Ethics Team
Role: Conflicts Officer
Location: Based in Ashurst's Glasgow office
Reporting to: Conflicts Managers, Head of Conflicts and Director of Risk and Compliance
Hours of work -
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday.
Core hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 5:30pm, with flexibility required to support business need.
You may be required to work additional hours to meet specific deadlines and/or facilitate project implementation.
Department/ Role Overview:
Working as part of our Global Risk & Compliance Department, the Conflicts & Ethics Team is responsible for analysing all new clients and matters to identify and resolve legal and commercial "conflicts of interest".
The role is ideally suited to an individual with a clear and confident communication style, and a desire to work collaboratively with a dynamic and motivated team. The successful candidate will have a keen eye for detail and an interest in current affairs. A legal qualification is not essential, but problem solving and professionalism are key.
Your Glasgow -based team will join colleagues across Brisbane, London, Perth and Sydney, working together to provide conflicts clearance as our partners and clients pursue the most exciting deals on offer across the globe.
Business as usual:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the rules of professional conduct applicable in UK and across the countries in which Ashurst lawyers practice
- Use your research skills to identify and verify clients, third parties and assets involved in new business requests
- Develop and apply your understanding of legal transactions to determine the relationships between parties involved in a particular matter; and if in doubt, liaise with the partners and lawyers
- Analyse information in the firm's conflict management systems and other databases to identify any potential conflicts of interest
- Work collaboratively with team members and Senior Management to find solutions to potential legal and commercial conflicts
- Record excellent phone notes, legal and commercial analysis to serve as a record of compliance for our insurers, regulators and firm management
- Maintain the highest standards of data quality within the conflicts database.
- Work across function groups (Finance, HR, IT, Business Development) to tackle projects and solve problems
- Take advantage of our continuous professional development opportunities and carefully planned career development
- Assist in preparing and delivering training and other compliance education sessions for the business.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- An interest in the work undertaken by a corporate multinational firm
- A desire to understand the business and work closely as a team to solve problems
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and able to work well under pressure
- Strong IT literacy and the ability to adapt to new processes and technology quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills required to engage all levels of legal and support staff
- The discretion required to maintain confidential information appropriately
Desired skills and experience
- Good judgement and business awareness
- Use of legal, business search engines and databases
- Working knowledge of Compliance Databases
Education/Qualification (or relevant experience):
- We welcome applicants from both law and non-law disciplines
- Experience in a law firm or large corporation is preferable but not essential.