Bid Operations Manager
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: Business Development
Role: Bid Operations Manager
Reporting to: Senior Bid Operations Manager
Hours of work:
Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.30 pm. You may be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
As Bid Operations Manager you will be responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of the Bid Operations team in Glasgow as part of the Global Bid team for Ashurst. The Bid Operations team is responsible for providing end-to-end bid process and management support across bid requirements globally.
Integral to the Global Bid team and the Bid Operations function, this role delivers critical bid support to the Bid Coordinators, Bid Executives and Senior Bid Executives across all bid types from formal bid processes (RFIs and ITTs), capability statements, proposals, fee quotes, presentations and BAFO stages. You will lead and develop the Bid Operations team to effectively respond to and collaborate with the wider Global Bid team, Business Development and other stakeholders.
The Bid Operations is critical in the development of persuasive bid content for each requirement and client. Supporting bids throughout the process to ensure bid excellence, you will contribute to the strategic growth of the firm through new and existing business wins.
The Bid Operations Manager will report to the Senior Bid Operations Manager, and work closely with the APAC Head of Bids and Global Head of Bids and will be an integral member of the Global Bid Team and wider business development function.
- Manage the workflow and allocation for all Bid Operations tasks and mandates, ensuring that the team deliver quality, using the firm workflow technology.
- Manage the Bid Operations team in the UK and work collaboratively with team based in Australia.
- Develop the Bid Operations team and educate them in best practice bid processes, enabling the team to develop compelling bid responses.
- Drive the managed bid process ensuring all team members and their stakeholders are aware of their role and timeline for deliverables, ensuring compliance with bid process.
- Ensure a collaborative and high-performing culture is maintained across Bid Operations, Bid Advisory, Bid Content, Pursuit Intelligence and Bid Design teams as well as all members of the firm.
- Review, monitor and promote bid best practice regarding writing style and tone while being compliant to individual client bid requirements or restrictions.
- Track and support on all workflow allocations, bid progress, status updates and bid reporting requirements for the Bid Operations team.
- Support all teams across BD and Global Bids to share and promote best practice across bids.
- Monitor bid milestones, briefs and workshops of the team to ensure all activity is managed using the firm workflow system.
- Provide ad-hoc bid support of key opportunities and contribute to the production of high-quality bid drafts.
- Support the Head of Bids to deliver all bid and pursuit activity at the highest standards of quality and excellence.
- Work with the content team to support the development of the firm's preferred Bid technology for content, credentials and the creation and delivery of bids.
- Observe usage of written content from our bid technology, provide guidance on improvement opportunities and help to spot and fill data / content gaps.
- Analyse bid and pursuit reporting, statistics, feedback and outcomes to support continuous improvement of overall quality, win rates, activity and spot to trends.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent bid and pursuit management capability. Experience of bid and pursuit management in either a legal, professional services or other relevant environment, and experience of producing winning bids. Extremely strong bid process knowledge, stakeholder engagement, writing and project management skills; able to transform technical information into clear, compelling, succinct content for proposals to various audience types (including public sector (government/councils), banks, financial institutions and corporates).
- Excellent organisational abilities and team management. Experience of managing complex opportunities across practice, borders with multiple stakeholders and challenging timelines. Experience of team management and collaborating with SME stakeholders and other teams to deliver against bid and pursuit requirements.
- Exceptional eye for detail, able to spot errors and inconsistencies, i.e. strong proofreading skills.
- Highly competent user of the Microsoft Office suite, including advanced Word and PowerPoint skills.
- Self-motivated; comfortable working autonomously to deliver the objectives of the role with limited day-to-day supervision.
- Team player, with a strong service excellence ethic and a desire to add value to the firm by improving the quality and usability of bid content.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent (preferably English or other arts/humanities degree).
Desired skills and experience
- Experience of bid library/pitch automation software systems and SharePoint.
- Experience of helping to embed and develop a new bid and pursuit processes and systems.
- An understanding of legal practices, products and the legal competitive landscape, gained from previous experience within the legal sector.
- Experience of having worked in the professional services sector, a partnership or other complex, global environment.
- Client facing sales, business development or account management experience.
- An understanding of different bid cultures and customers, with bid writing experience across geographies and to a variety of customers (e.g. government, financial services, banks, funds, corporates).