Financial Institutions Group Knowledge Lawyer
"They're very good, their grasp of the technical side is excellent. They're extremely commercial, reliable, thorough and personable."- Chambers UK
We are looking for a Knowledge Lawyer (KL/PSL) to join our highly regarded Financial Institutions Group. The successful individual will provide a high quality training and knowledge service to FIG and the broader Financial Services sector. The role offers the flexibility to be based in either of our London or Bristol offices. The role is intended to be full-time, but we're very happy to consider applicants looking to work part-time, 4 days a week.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an experienced and well respected team that are market-leaders in their areas of expertise.
Our highly profitable FIG practice, part of the Business Transactions Group (BTG), spans 4 core service lines: Funds (Investment Funds and Hedge Funds); Payments; Consumer and Small Business Finance; and Financial Regulation.
We advise financial institutions, corporates and service providers on all aspects of the financial services environment in which they operate. We advise across the financial services market and our clients include clearing, commercial, private and investment banks, securities firms, asset and investment managers, e-money and payment institutions, and service providers. Our work ranges from pure advisory work through product launches to outsourcings and M&A.
We are known for our technical excellence, but more so for our solutions-led approach which makes us a good fit for assisting clients bringing innovative products to market. Much of our practice is international in nature, driven through the increasing OC International reach.
"I've found them excellent. We go back to their team because their response rate is fantastic." - Chambers UK
Our FIG team comprises 7 partners and 20 lawyers with 2 trainee solicitors. The team operates from two offices, in London and Bristol. The team is led by an excellent, innovative group of partners.
The position provides an excellent opportunity to join the FIG practice and the BTG Knowledge team to focus on the provision of Financial Services regulatory knowledge to FIG and the wider firm and its clients, within an established and supportive Knowledge function. The BTG Knowledge team currently comprises three Knowledge Lawyers (one Corporate Knowledge Lawyer, one Commercial Knowledge Lawyer and one other FIG Knowledge Lawyer), and is led by the Head of BTG Knowledge, who reports to the firm's Head of Knowledge. The team are also supported by a Paralegal.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the FIG team in relation to regulatory change, know-how sharing and precedents ideally (to varying degrees) across the FIG team's core service lines.
- Keeping, and helping the FIG team keep, on top of that relevant regulatory change, including Brexit, preparing internal and client alerts/bulletins/updates. The FIG team currently publish regular newsletters on Funds, Payments and FinTech.
- Organising our know-how sharing, including authoring and collecting external and internal know-how, storing it in OC's knowledge database and arranging and leading know-how sharing sessions.
- Organising the FIG team's legal training programme and delivering some of the training sessions.
- Developing and maintaining an up-to-date and technically excellent collection of FIG precedent documents, following an assessment of fee earner needs.
- Assisting in the preparation of client seminars and client training sessions and speaking at such seminars.
- Assisting in the co-ordination and quality control, in conjunction with the communications team, of publications/articles/press releases produced by the FS Sector and the BTG Knowledge team, for either external or internal publication.
- Ensuring that the wider firm is kept up-to-date on legal and practice developments in the FS regulatory field of which they should be aware.
- Dealing with queries from OC lawyers and clients regarding current law and practice.
- Assisting in the planning and delivery of OC's wider knowledge strategy and knowledge-related projects.
Technical skills and experience
You will have strong theoretical, practical and up-to-date knowledge of the UK and European financial services regulatory regimes, ideally with experience spanning advisory and transactional/project work gained within a well-respected City or equivalent law firm, in-house or at a relevant regulatory body. You will have a client-orientated approach, both internally and externally, and an enthusiasm for presenting technical legal and regulatory issues in a clear, approachable and professional way. Due to the technical nature of the work, we are looking to a Senior Associate level qualified fee-earning (or equivalent) lawyer, although we will consider candidates with more or less experience.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3072 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive and be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.