Our HR department are on the lookout for someone to join the team as an HR Assistant. As an HR Assistant your main responsibility will be to provide high quality HR support to the team, and all employees and Partners across the UK offices.
This is a full time and permanent position, ordinarily based out of our Bristol office, but at present due to the UK Government guidelines, this position will be working remotely.
People are at the heart of our business and this is an exciting time to be in HR and support the firm in preparing for the future of work in a post-pandemic environment. Our HR team is highly respected for the central and strategic role it plays in making Osborne Clarke a great place to work. The team is made up of 35 people, covering human resources, recruitment and people development across all three UK offices. We are a friendly and supportive team, working closely together to help ensure Osborne Clarke's continued growth and success.
Osborne Clarke is an international legal practice with over 270 Partners and more than 900 talented lawyers in 26 locations*. Our sector-based approach enables us to help our clients tackle the issues they are facing today, and prepare for the ones that they will face tomorrow. Advising them both comprehensively and commercially. We love working closely with our clients on new deals, products and solutions which will transform their businesses, markets and even sectors. And our unique approachable culture is not an added extra, it's fundamental to our success.
This is a varied role which will see the successful candidate cover a range of tasks and include duties such as:
- Advising on policies and approach, taking each query as far as you can and escalating when necessary
- Monitoring and actioning emails in the HR Mailbox
- Actioning Joiners / Movers / Leavers process (Terms, SelectHR, notification)
- Making changes to Terms and Conditions of employment
- Managing maternity and shared parental leave processes, including meeting with the individual, producing confirmation of Maternity Leave letter, intention to return letter and confirmation of return letter, pay/holiday calculations, arranges coaching
- Conducting exit interviews
- Monitoring and managing end of probation process, liaising with managers
- Acting as note taker for formal employee relations meetings
- Taking ownership of the monitoring of the status of visas and assisting with renewal
- Supporting with Secondment administration and process
- Intranet/Internet lead ensuring effective and up to date communications
- Providing administrative support for promotion processes and other cyclical projects
- Co-ordinate Partner Joiner and Promotion process for UK
- Co-ordinate Partner documents including leavers, promotions, maternities, change of agreements, and ensure records are accurate
- Continually ensure compliance of Partner processes with Law Society / SRA regulations
- Inform the SRA with any Partner changes
- Any other duties that may be required to ensure the efficient operation of HR service.
Who we're looking for
The successful candidate will have a basic understanding of HR policy and practice, and demonstrable HR work experience in an assistant or administrator role. Experience gained in a legal or partnership environment is advantageous, as is the understanding of a large organisation. More specifically you will:
- Work well as part of a small team
- Understand and act upon appropriate instructions, clarifying incomplete/unclear instructions before acting
- Have excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Be able to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships at all levels
- Have a professional and flexible approach to work
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to support multiple people and areas of work
- Experience with various software packages across Microsoft Office
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Philippa Watson in the recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0117 917 4107.
No agencies please
*Services in India are provided by a relationship firm
Please note that although we include closing dates for our roles as a guide, we review and progress applications on a rolling basis.
At Osborne Clarke we value difference and encourage applicants from all social backgrounds, ethnicities, disabilities, gender identities, and sexual or romantic orientations. We want everyone to feel that OC is a place where you can be yourself and where you belong, and our range of interest groups and diversity networks - not to mention our great teams - are a part of making that a reality.
We support working families via a range of family and caring friendly policies and will accommodate flexible working where we can. We value the health and wellbeing of our people: for example, we're signatories to the Mindful Business Charter, have an active network of mental health champions and offer free initiatives and flexible benefits to all our people.
Being an inclusive employer is important to us. We have made a number of external commitments such as the Race Fairness Commitment and Women in Law Pledge, and are working with organisations like Stonewall to become a more inclusive employer.
Osborne Clarke is a Living Wage Employer, so we're committed to paying everybody in our business enough to live on and to enable them to save for the future.
We want you to be able to show us your best during the recruitment process. If you require any adjustments to be made during the application, interview process or when working with us, please let us know.