Corporate Tax Senior Associate / Associate Director
We are looking for a Senior Associate or Associate Director with experience of working in a corporate tax environment to join our highly regarded team and be based in any of our UK offices (London, Reading or Bristol).
Osborne Clarke has an established, highly regarded and growing Tax Group both in the UK and internationally. In the UK the Tax Group covers four teams - Corporate Tax, Incentives, Private Wealth and Tax Litigation. You will be joining a successful firm with a collegiate and supportive culture, which makes it a rewarding place to work.
Our Corporate Tax team is a strong, four partner team, which operates as one team with lawyers currently based in London and Bristol. As one team spread across offices, we are used to being agile and support flexible working practices. The team enjoys a varied and quality work load, for mainly City-based and international clients. We provide our clients with tailored UK and cross-border tax advice that helps them meet their business objectives. Our work ranges from stand-alone tax advisory mandates to transaction linked advice. We work closely with colleagues within Osborne Clarke including our international offices and especially from our private equity, funds, corporate, real estate, projects, and banking teams. We undertake complex tax structuring mandates particularly for funds, real estate, private equity and corporate clients. We have a reputation for giving technically excellent advice that is commercial and user-friendly regardless of whether we are providing strategic support or working under pressure on a transaction.
The team is pro-active and forward looking, an approach which generates significant advisory work for the team and allows team members to develop specialisms in areas of interest. We seek to build strong and long lasting relationships with clients and colleagues. We are closely aligned to Osborne Clarke's sector and transformation strategies and particularly active, with strong client relationships, within the areas and sectors of technology, media and communications; real estate and infrastructure; financial services; and healthcare and life sciences.
Find out more about our Tax Group and the clients of Osborne Clarke using this link:
The Corporate Tax team is currently made up of 4 Partners, 3 Associate Directors, 2 Senior Associates, 2 Associates, 1 Trainee Solicitor and a dedicated Knowledge Lawyer.
The UK Tax Group benefits from an excellent training programme and support for external study. A strong commitment to individuals' career development and to team based working together with the training support ensures our lawyers are technically excellent and have rewarding careers within a collegiate working environment.
Our clients include high-profile publicly listed companies, management teams, investment funds, family owned businesses, real estate investors and developers. Some examples of the deals we've recently advised on that are in the public domain and which can be viewed on our website are as follows:
- We advised Notonthehighstreet and its management team on the sale of the company to growth equity firm Great Hill Partners;
- We provided structuring tax advice and transaction support to long standing private equity client, Tenzing, on its investment in MetaCompliance, a market-leading cybersecurity awareness training and compliance platform;
- We advised growth investor Synova Capital on the buy-out of JM Glendinning Group Limited, a specialist broker operating within the commercial lines insurance market;
- We provided tax structuring advice and transactional support to leading Bristol developer, Cubex with backing by Fiera Capital, in relation to Grainger's acquisition of a forward funded build to rent development in Bristol;
- We provided indirect tax advice and transactional support to Vistry Partnerships (formerly Galliford Try Partnerships) on the development agreement for Meridian One, the first phase of the a 20-year regeneration programme led by the London Borough of Enfield;
- Acted for Bestway Wholesale on its acquisition of Costcutter Supermarkets Group from Bibby Line Group;
- We continue to act for long standing client, Foresight, and recently acted on its solar development joint venture with Island Green Power;
- We led the tax advice to Global Student Accommodation on the acquisition by it and its JV partner Harrison Street of two purpose-built student accommodation assets in Bristol, known as Print Hall and Unity Street;
- We have advised on the acquisition of a majority interest in Fore Freedom Holdings B.V., a fibre-to-the-premises network business in the Netherlands, from funds managed by Ancala Partners;
- We have continued to represent the Pension Protection Fund, on substantial and complex fund investments.
Technical skills and experience
The successful candidate will show evidence of good quality training gained within a highly regarded Tax practice. You will have a demonstrable understanding of UK tax rules and structures, ideally with experience of advising across some of the areas of corporate, private equity, real estate, projects, funds, finance and other commercial transactions.
Due to the nature of the work and the current team needs, we are ideally looking to appoint a Senior Associate or Associate Director. However, we are happy to consider candidates with more or less experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the recruitment team on email@example.com or 0117 917 3072.
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive and be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.