Senior Practice Development Lawyer - Corporate
We seek an accomplished transactional lawyer with excellent technical skills to:
- shape and realise a dynamic and impactful presence for the practice with our clients; and
- create and maintain modern and stylish documentation and materials.
Collaborative and easy in a team, you will be creative, confident and innovative in developing and implementing this vision.
Our Corporate team operates across the firm's network of offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Our clients include many leading investment funds and financial institutions, national and multinational corporations, governments and regulatory bodies. We combine our transactional expertise with in-depth sector experience focusing on Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Healthcare & Life Sciences and TMT.
Our Corporate practice focuses on the following core areas:
- M&A - private and public
- Private equity
- Joint ventures, strategic alliances and reorganisations
- Asset management and investment funds
- Equity capital markets (including US Securities)
- Corporate advisory, corporate governance and regulatory and compliance
The UK practice is based in London and Bristol, functioning as part of a collegiate and supportive international group. Most of our work has a cross-border dimension and relates to one or more of our focus sectors.
Recent deals we have advised on include BlackRock's £1.3bn acquisition of eFront and Brookfield Infrastructure's proposed $17bn acquisition of an emerging markets telecom business. Other recent clients include APG, Lion Trust Asset Management, Invesco, Goldman Sachs and Mitsubishi.
We have an ambitious growth strategy focussed on winning more and more highly profitable, premium work from top tier clients.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Equipping the practice to take itself to market in a dynamic and client-friendly style - this will involve:
- Swiftly and pro-actively identifying developments in our own practice area which are of interest and relevance to clients and writing about them in a compelling way
- Promptly and pro-actively identifying developments in other practice areas and the sectors which are relevant to transactions - refracting those developments through a transactional lens and writing about them in a compelling way
- Creating timely content on topical items for the practice to deploy through the website, alerter emails, social media etc.
- Working closely and pro-actively as relevant with M&BD, PSLs/PDLs in other practice areas and sector leads/specialists
- Drafting (with other team members), editing and maintaining the KeyNotes series on relevant transactional topics (e.g. W&I insurance etc.)
- Considering cross-border difference and preparing comparative overviews of relevant topics
- Identifying and addressing market opportunity - this will involve:
- Considering how best to harness and showcase the technical and sectoral expertise (such as know-how and relevant experience on client matters) of the practice - and promoting and developing that expertise
- Working with team members to distil house views and market practice insights, including from transactional documentation
- Meeting with clients to understand their issues, priorities and feedback
- Considering what opportunities exist with clients that the practice is not currently exploiting
- Devising and producing client training (to be delivered alone and/or by other team members as appropriate)
- Chargeable work (with the value of billable hours at least exceeding 1x salary) - this will involve:
- Working on technical aspects of transactions with other team members
- Handling needs in connection with the PSC regime, DTRs/Takeover Code disclosures, MAR and board governance
- Supporting best-in-class technical performance by the practice - this will involve:
- Standards: maintaining a focused number of key standards reflecting the firm's approach to best-in-class lawyering - where otherwise leveraging PLC / FromCounsel as the base standard documentation offering, adding analysis and commentary as needed to give context and depth to the firm and the practice
- Know-how: developing and collating know-how, sector-relevant insights and material and best practice guidance, including house views
- Research: providing high quality research services and, where appropriate, co-ordinating the distribution of research to trainees and junior lawyers
- Internal training: devising and delivering (with/by others as appropriate)
- Innovation: identifying, devising and embedding innovation and continuous improvement in how the practice works
- Excellent academics
- You will ideally have at least ten years of post-qualification experience within a leading corporate practice, gained at a leading firm
- Enthusiasm, commitment and energy
- Effective, responsible and conscientious - must be able to demonstrate the ability to deliver projects efficiently
- Flexibility and a willingness to work additional hours when transactional demands or market opportunities require
- You are ambitious and collaborative.