Professional Support Officer - FS Funds
12 month fixed term contract
Simmons & Simmons are recruiting for a Professional Support Officer to join our growing FS Funds practice in London. The successful candidate will support the delivery of knowhow and professional support services for the group.
Simmons & Simmons is a leading international law firm, providing clients with commercially aware legal advice, whenever and wherever they need it. We have over 1,600 people situated in key business and financial centres across Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
We understand that our firm is equal only to the strengths of our people and place great emphasis on recruiting and retaining staff who meet our high standards. Our philosophy for international growth has been to build practices around local teams who understand the culture, business and languages of the countries and regions in which we operate. In doing so, we believe that we have succeeded in developing a closely knit and cohesive network that meets local business needs as part of a global service.
Our business services groups provide integrated support for our global operations. The firm is organised in line with our clients' requirements into key practice areas and sector groups. Our sector focus allows us to better appreciate the environment in which our clients operate and to work with them to achieve their objectives. Our client base includes leading financial institutions and a significant number of the current FTSE 100 and Fortune Global 500 companies.
Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients' needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Healthcare & Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also f ocus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working. The core practice areas, from which we draw our sector teams, are: corporate, dispute resolution, employment, pensions & employee benefits, EU, competition & regulatory, financial markets, information, communications & technology, intellectual property, projects, real estate and tax.
Main duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the PSL to deliver knowhow and professional support services to the London FS Funds team, including:
- Proactively maintaining the know-how database including scanning and indexing, obtaining new knowhow from fee earners, converting documentation as necessary and adding and updating new know-how.
- Reviewing and maintaining the physical know-how collections.
- Undertaking research and fact-finding and informing the members of the FS group of major developments.
- Dealing with general and specific enquiries and requests for information from members of the FS group, as well as from associates and partners in other departments and offices.
- Administer the FS education programme, including liaising with the FMD central training department, arranging for attendance registers to be produced and stored and booking rooms where necessary.
- Locating precedents for, and preparing, appropriate first mark-ups and compare copies.
- Developing and maintaining negotiated terms matrix.
- Preparing matrices summarising agreements entered into.
- Completing account opening documentation for fund launches and follow up to obtain execution copies of documents.
- Assisting with knowledge management projects generally, both in relation to the FS group as well as in relation to the FMD and the firm in general.
Education / qualifications / experience
- Educated to degree level and successfully completed Legal Practice Course (LPC).
- This role may well be suited to a law graduate awaiting commencement of a training contract.
Knowledge and technical skills
The job holder must have the following skills and knowledge:
- Delivers high quality service and seeks to meet and exceed expectations
- Builds and maintains co-operative relationships with others in order to provide a quality service
- Client-focussed, aligns service to the needs of lawyers and clients of the firm
- Ability to write legal articles, abstracts and commentaries
- Sound awareness of the UK legal system
- A demonstrated understanding of legal concepts and the law generally
- Makes use of information, online databases and knowledge resources effectively
- Can digest, consolidate and analyse information for sharing with colleagues