Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The Credit Control team consists of six team members, including a Credit Control Manager and five Credit Controllers, the team is located in offices in London, Exeter and Manchester, the team forms part of our Finance department who are based across our office network including UK, Middle East and Far East locations. The Credit Control team are responsible for the prompt and effective collection of outstanding debt subject to monthly cash collection targets, supporting and assisting partners and lawyers in management of cash collections, together with various reporting responsibilities and assisting with the firm's management of lock-up.
What you'll be doing
- Daily Credit Control responsibilities, including proactive chasing of clients, by telephone, email and letter, to ensure the prompt recovery of outstanding debt.
- Arranging and attending monthly credit control meetings with assigned partners, including review of AR lock-up and outstanding debt, agreeing chase actions and next steps inline with agreed AR monthly targets.
- Maintaining accurate and comprehensive records in relation to 3E Collections processes to deliver complete chase history for collection items as applicable.
- Proactively and promptly deal with and resolve client queries or questions as they arise.
- Assisting with the administration of the credit control inbox, including answering queries, providing reports and information as relating to client requests.
- Attending monthly Credit Control Team meeting to review prior month's AR performance, plus provide feedback and input to potential system or process enhancements.
- Provide assistance in relation to quarterly debt provisioning process, including review, follow-up and update.
- Proactively and promptly escalate issues or queries to Credit Control Manager and agree next steps.
- Develop and enhance client relationships with key strategic clients to include monthly client calls in order to review debt and resolve queries.
- Provide assistance and support to Credit Control Manager and Credit Control Team in relation to ad-hoc tasks as and when required.
- Complete debt write-offs (when necessary) obtaining partner/management authorisation and update documentation.
- Timely production and dispatch of departmental and client reports as required
- Attend monthly practice area AR review meetings and deliver updates and feedback as applicable.
- Liaising and assisting business support colleagues in relation to queries and various requests.
What you'll need
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- A strong team player
- A positive and proactive attitude
- An ability to operate autonomously and/or with minimum supervision
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach
Experience and qualifications
- 5+ years experience in a similar credit control role (essential)
- Previous law firm or other professional service firm experience (essential)
- Previous experience using Elite 3e practice management system or similar (preferable).
- Previous experience of MS Office, specifically Excel and Word (essential)
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.