Head of Facilities
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The Facilities team plays an important part in keeping the infrastructure of the firm working and sits within the firm's Operations and Communications function.
The Head of Facilities is a newly created position responsible for all of the facilities in all of our offices in the UK and internationally. As well as providing strategic leadership to the team and delivering infrastructure projects to support the firm’s overarching strategy, the position will also take a leading role in the firm’s property strategy alongside our Managing Partners and the Director of Operations.
The Head of Facilities reports to the Director of Operations and will work closely with the Managing Partners and the other Directors of the business.
Direct reports: London based Facilities Manager and Operations Executive. Directly and indirectly other members of the Operations Team and International Office Managers.
What you'll be doing
Facilities and Property Management
- Demonstrate strategic thinking to optimise space utilisation to meet our changing needs across the UK, the Middle East and KL.
- Taking a lead role across the UK, the Middle East and KL for Property and Estates Management including rent, rent reviews, rates, rates appeals, sub-letting and managing the landlord and tenant relationships.
- Management of the approval process for new leases, extension of leases and all lease matters in conjunction with the firm's Managing Partners and External Property Agents.
- Management of our sustainability strategy.
- Experience and track record to drive FM change initiatives across the Firm.
- Lead and oversee best value in all tendering and purchasing within the FM team.
- Communicate the relevant aspects of the firmwide strategy across the FM functions to make the teams aware of how they are to contribute to the overall deliverables.
- Manage facilities compliance issues ensuring compliance with legislation, codes, directives and regulations.
Catering and Hospitality Management
- Management of the external catering contract, staff catering, vending client dining hospitality services.
- Set standards and operating procedures for the management of front of house creating an exceptional client experience and consistency.
H&S and Environmental
- To be conversant with the statutory requirement of relevant legislation applicable to the Facilities service and office premises.
- Ensure all offices comply with all relevant statutory legislation with regards to Health and Safety and Building Regulations and afford a safe and appropriate place of work.
- Oversee maintenance of the Emergency Procedures, Disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- A member of the Firm’s Environmental Sustainability Task Force.
Procure and Contract Management
- Lead and oversee best value in all tendering and purchasing within the FM team
- Develop and manage Service Level Agreements to govern the performance of service providers, ensuring excellent and best value services are delivered.
- Effectively manage relationships with outsourced Vendor suppliers to ensure the highest level of service delivery at all times.
- Prepare annual budgets and exercise proper financial control in the management of such budgets, ensuring expenditure remains within agreed limits.
- Ensure the Director of Finance is kept abreast of financial issues and implications.
What you'll need
- 5-7 years proven experience in a senior FM position within a professional services organisation, and be familiar with partnership dynamics.
- Educated to degree level or qualified by experience.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills with an ability to influence and build relationships at all levels.
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion.
- Can make commercial business decisions and is resilient in the face of resistance.
- Excellent organisation skills
- Team player
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.