Our success, your opportunity.
We don’t follow trends. We start them. We drive change and deliver more to make a tangible difference for our clients and communities.
We’ve created a culture that encourages and values individual choice and opportunity, combined with inclusion and teamwork. Bring your ambition, initiative and entrepreneurial mindset to a global business that’s redefining the expectations of a law firm.
DLA Piper is a global law firm, with an exceptional client-centric mindset both in its fee earning and business support operations. We are currently looking to hire a Pricing Manager who will join and manage our Pricing team sitting within our Commercial Finance Support team, located ideally in Sheffield, alternatively in Leeds or Manchester.
Under the direction of the Head of Commercial Support, drive the Pricing agenda at DLA Piper; combining hands on commercial, relevant and practical advice and support to partners in order to both meet client requirements and improve profitability through smarter pricing, with day to day management and development of a team of three Pricing Accountants/Analysts. The Pricing Manager will deliver continuous improvement of the Pricing team and it's collaboration with both the wider Commercial Finance function and other client facing functions such as Pitch, Legal Project Management and Legal Technology amongst others.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Pricing Manager role is both business and client facing and will require frequent contact with key stakeholders and senior colleagues
- To work closely with the Business Development and Pitch teams in both preparing and managing the preparation of the financial elements of client Requests For Proposals (RFPs); collaborating with Partners, firm leadership, senior management, Marketing, Finance and our Service Delivery function on understanding client requirements and delivering a pricing proposal with clear underlying assumptions of resourcing and service delivery
- To serve as the firm's primary resource for pricing related matters, working alongside colleagues in Finance, Business Development and across practice areas and sector lines
- Work with Partners and other key stakeholders to prepare panel and transaction pricing proposals within EMEA
- To pro-actively encourage partners to offer pricing choice to our clients and prospective clients by identifying opportunities to engage with clients, review client engagement terms and periods to identify the biggest opportunities for immediate discussion and challenge and to create a rolling programme of review and prompts to Client Relationship teams to renew panel/client terms
- Ensuring increased control of pricing agreements, consistency of offerings, support to major client teams and increased visibility of governance around pricing
- To design and implement specific training sessions for both partners and associates to help up up-skill the firm around pricing
- Undertake financial modelling and scenario analysis to support pricing decisions
- Support the application of firm-wide pricing policies and monitoring compliance with them
- Support partners in developing negotiation strategy and attending client negotiations on behalf of the firm
- Keep abreast of industry trends
- To be responsible for the ongoing development of pricing tools, knowledge bank of offerings and information to be shared with the business
- A strong grounding and experience in commercial business
- Solid experience in pricing, in either a law firm, other relevant professional services environment, or large corporate
- Working knowledge of legal service pricing, alternative fee arrangements, law firm profitability and costing of services would be preferable
- Ability to analyse and model financial data and prepare concise reports to assist in pricing decisions
- The ability to lead and manage the application of systems and technology to the processes involved in critical pricing activities
- Experience of managing a team, providing mentoring, supporting their development and challenging existing working practices
- Experience and technical expertise to manage large data sets to model and manipulate data for analysis and presentation
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal. Confident presence, and interpersonal skills that enable effective engagement and collaboration with the firm's most senior Partners and Directors
- Ability to explain complex financial information to non-finance personnel
- Tenacity, resilience and patience when dealing with difficult and challenging issues
- Flexibility and able to adapt readily to changing requirements and circumstances
- Dynamic problem solving abilities; finding creative, commercial and pragmatic solutions
- The ability to work well and operate comfortably within a partnership structure / culture
- Advanced MS Excel
- Ability to build relationships with, and influence, senior stakeholders
- Emotionally resilient, and has strength of personality to ensure our commercial perspective is clearly communicated.
- The ability to remain calm and focused under pressure
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.