Legal PA - Litigation IP (12 month FTC)
We are currently recruiting for a Legal PA role in the IP team within the Litigation Department. This will be a full time 12 month fixed term contract position commencing in May 2021. This role requires a professional, proactive and client focused Legal PA to support 2 Partners and a team of fee earners. Closing date for applications will be Monday 12th April 2021.
To provide fee earners with effective high-quality PA support that appropriately meets their requirements, enabling them to focus on providing legal services and client development. In particular, support with effective diary management; all matters with regard to finance; travel arrangements; communication control (telephone, email and post); and preparation of confidential, and often complex documents and presentations.
Role and responsibilities
General PA Duties – PA support, diary management, management of calls, emails and post etc.
- Daily maintenance of diary events and organisation of the day-to-day schedule of fee earners, to include the identification and resolution of potential issues
- Coordination of meetings, to include the consideration of and responsibility for ensuring all necessary arrangements are made
- Proactive management of fee earners to ensure that they attend meetings on time and with the appropriate documents/presentations
- Respond to telephone calls in a professional manner, acting as a filter to manage and control calls
- Proactive management of emails, voicemails and general post, using initiative to route emails to the appropriate individuals for swift response and action, ensuring that tasks are followed up
- Planning and coordination of comprehensive travel programmes, to include booking flights, hotels, car transfers, and preparation of itineraries etc.
- Preparation of holiday/absence handover notes and liaison with team with regard to covering fee earner absences
- Deal/Matter Support – Coordination of file opening, client care, and end of matter details
Document Support – Preparation of client documentation and correspondence
- Type letters, correspondence, presentations, reports and legal documentation, including digital dictation if applicable
- Proofread all work to ensure that completed documents are delivered accurately and to the appropriate high standard
- Prepare and/or ensure availability of necessary agendas, presentations and meeting papers, including printing and timely distribution
Finance – Coordination and preparation of invoices and all expense claims
- Demonstrate an understanding of the end-to-end billing process and financial system
- Take responsibility for submission of expense claims on behalf of fee earners and maintenance of copies, ensuring cross-check against Corporate Amex expenditure if appropriate
- Routinely update Carpe Diem; complete and close timesheets where appropriate and prompt fee earners where necessary
- Attend WIP meeting (if appropriate) and liaise with billing team to ensure any write-offs are actioned before production of all relevant documentation
- Edit time narratives within 3E, print billing guides and prepare invoices
- Assist Revenue Controller in all aspects in relation to billing, ensuring disbursement invoices are authorised and added to the file in preparation for billing
- Work on client pitches, to include awareness of date for submission to client; liaison with Business Development, Creative Services and Printroom for timely production of documentation
- Coordinate/organise client events and ensure all details, post-event, are followed up
- Undertake research on clients or potential clients, including putting together briefing packs as and when required
- Maintain/update EPiC experience records and events calendar; liaise with fee earners and Business Development to ensure all information is collated
- Monitor contact with key clients and prompt for a call, lunch, or meeting. Advise partner of key activities of client (e.g. birthdays, maternity leave etc.)
- Understand and appreciate key client contacts and build relationships with PAs at key clients
- Ensure A&O databases are kept up to date, e.g. APEX, EPiC, CVs and A&O.com
The successful candidate will
- Show a proactive approach to tasks and situations
- Demonstrate a positive attitude in all aspects of the role, taking personal responsibility and ownership and behaving professionally at all times
- Maintain tact and diplomacy, trust and confidentiality
- Exhibit strong professional communication skills, both oral and written
- Build successful relationships with fee earners to identify individual requirements
- Have an enthusiastic approach to change and adapt to an ever-evolving role
- Ensure flexibility around contracted working hours, taking full responsibility for meeting the requirements of the role
- Ensure familiarity and compliance with A&O standard operating procedures and any group-specific procedures
- Take responsibility for ensuring personal development and IT skills are maintained and improved
Due to the evolving nature of the business, there may be tasks in addition to the above, dependent on role and department.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.