Associate - Leverage Finance
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering excellence, in all that we do. Today, we’re continuing to break new ground. By embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work, we’ve been named as the Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe by the Financial Times five times.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and acceptance. We’re driven by the belief that, to perform, people need support and space to collaborate. By combining those values with an ambitious outlook, we can give you the opportunity to thrive.
Allen & Overy can advise on any form of financing that borrowers or lenders choose to undertake, and clients often call on us to advise on the ground-breaking deals and structures which eventually become the market standard.
The main focus of the Leveraged Finance group is leveraged acquisition finance, particularly large, multi-jurisdictional transactions, and including both public and private bids. Allen & Overy’s leveraged finance practice is widely recognised as one of the market leaders. We are able to offer our clients exceptional market knowledge, built from a broad client base and from regularly working on big-ticket, cross-border deals, gained in times of both boom and bust. Our lawyers have been active in transactions all across Europe and beyond and we work on some of the most cutting-edge and high profile deals in the market.
Our work includes acting for all of the major international banks involved in the leveraged finance space, including the likes of Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. In addition, we deal with a range of non-banking clients such as private equity houses, corporate borrowers and non-bank lenders.
The loan products we regularly draft and advise on include senior, mezzanine and second lien loans (including “cov lite” loans), super senior revolving credit facilities and high yield bridge facilities. The work is interesting and varied and we are a friendly and collaborative team.
- Leveraged Finance Partners, Associates and the wider team
- Allen & Overy banking lawyers from across the international network
- Business Development Manager
- Wider A&O community
Role and responsibilities
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating documentation
- Managing and co-ordinating large, multi-jurisdictional transactions
- Liaising with colleagues throughout the A&O network (particularly in Europe, Asia and the US)
- Strategically advising clients in meetings, on the phone and by email
- Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Building relationships with clients (both on and off deal) and assisting with and implementing business development initiatives
- Legal research
- Qualified lawyer 3+ PQE
- Strong technical knowledge of the legal framework surrounding general financing transactions
- Familiarity with the main documents (e.g. credit agreements, security documents and intercreditor agreements) used in financing transactions
- Experience of working on leveraged/acquisition finance transactions would be a bonus, but is not essential
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Sound experience of operating at associate level within a complex international organisation
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the partner and fee-earner community, building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility
Who we are looking for
We are looking for high quality applicants with strong experience in leveraged/acquisition or general financing transactions to join a friendly and dynamic team where the quality of work is second to none.