We currently have an opportunity to recruit a Solution Architect who will be responsible for designing and planning the future software as a service solutions, including integration strategy and architecture and software development methodologies, standards and tools in conjunction with the senior management and the technical community. They will define global standards based on best practices and repeatable processes ensuring they are embedded as part of the technical governance processes. Always participating in project teams to manage and contribute code to ensure solutions align with architectural strategy.
Role and responsibilities
- The role holder will be seen as a clear leader for all technical matters relating to Software as a service solutions, software development and methodologies providing subject matter expertise to Design Authorities and the Architecture Review Board in order to achieve the above goals
- Provide technical thought leadership in the area of software as a service solutions and software development management through being responsible for the creation and maintenance of appropriate technology roadmaps defined from the Technology Radar.
- Ensure the strategy, architecture, standards and roadmaps are understood by the relevant teams
- Championing the technology roadmap and reference architectures for the global delivery of all infrastructure services.
- Assuring the quality and consistency of the design of solutions against the future vision, the technology roadmap and standards
- Accountable for ensuring there is an up to date forward view of IT upgrades required to ensure that applications continue to meet the business needs and that they remain supportable. Ensure that the supporting business case is robust so that funding is secured to deliver the required changes
- Responsible for ensuring that projects have the required input in terms of the detailed technical design
- Work with the Relationship Managers & IT colleagues to ensure the most cost effective, timely & appropriate IT solutions are developed to fulfil the commercial and business requirements
- Provide specialist advice to support the strategy and architecture development
- Define and deliver continuous improvement programmes so that, where applicable, systems deliver an improved performance to the business
- Instil a culture of continual improvement and problem solving
- Responsible for ensuring that both existing and new initiatives adopt suitable controls, likely to be both technology and process based.
- Act, where necessary, as the Technical Lead or Technical Design Authority role on IT projects. This will include:
- analysis of business/information requirements specified and architect solutions required to support those requirements;
- provide analysis for technical alternatives, and technical risk analysis for proposed systems;
- the creation and implementation of high-level solution designs that address the needs of key stakeholders from the business, solution delivery and operational areas;
- ensuring relevant teams are aware of the technologies being implemented and the implications, i.e. enhancing the collaboration between teams that are involved in the successful delivery of projects.
- Create and review technical architectural documents and technical specifications against their adherence to standards, roadmaps and policies through the Architecture Review Board (ARB) as an active core ARB member.
- Maintain & enhance appropriate internal technical IT governance structures that will work with project teams (& 3rd party providers) to ensure strategic alignment and standards compliance
- Working with 3rd line support teams to ensure that services are effectively delivered, understood and supported against business requirements.
- Designing, building and implementing spikes and prototypes to prove architectural design sanity
- Participating in project stand-ups, to review architecture and code artefacts. Always governing project build to ensure alignment with project and cross A&O architectural strategy
- Aptitude for and experience of creating, managing, motivating and developing teams
- Commercial acumen including an understanding of the overall picture of how the IT service costs and value add to the business
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills, including the ability to communicate both on technical and business levels.
- Excellent customer-facing skills with a good grasp of key drivers and requirements within the Business.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business
- Deep understanding of the principles of architecture and software design to meet a range of business requirements
- Expected to have a solid understanding of all technologies used by A&O, business working practices and active working experience and understanding of the core applications
- Detailed practical knowledge of Citrix technologies, including application and desktop virtualization, network virtualization and cloud services
- Knowledge of IT market and trends
- Knowledge and experience of working in ITIL environments
- Experience of IT service and operations
- Technical background preferred with a wide range of experience across many technical areas
- Strong experience of delivering service quality within an ITIL framework
- Appropriate Microsoft certifications
- Architectural framework certification e.g. TOGAF certification or experience is preferable.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.