Associate / Senior Associate - Investment & Development
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a top 40 UK law firm with turnover of in excess of £100m. Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From major development and regeneration schemes to investment and management of existing assets, approximately 60% of our lawyers practice in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including development, planning, construction, finance, investment, environmental, asset management and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices.
Where you'll work
Based in the firm's second biggest UK office, the Exeter Real Estate Team currently includes 26 lawyers and advises on wide range of real estate transactions including (amongst others) investment, finance, development, regeneration, build-to-rent, co-living, student accommodation, social care and social housing. We provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions, working alongside colleagues in our corporate, planning, construction and tax departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Real Estate Solicitor to join the Agriculture & Rural Estates team at Associate/Senior Associate level (3-8 PQE). Work will include acting for landowners, farmers and local authorities. Initially working alongside a Partner you would be expected to hit the ground running and would be given high levels of responsibility with direct client contact and running your own files.
Some of the team's recent transactions include
- Purchase of rural estate including large manor house, redundant agricultural buildings with planning consent for holiday cottages and surrounding estate comprising of agricultural land and woodland.
- Refinancing significant land holding including unregistered land, agricultural buildings and cottage subject to agricultural tie. Advising the client and the bank in relation to a 3rd party charge to support company borrowing and advising on all matters including licence agreements, tenancy agreements and compliance with restrictions protecting option agreement.
- First registration of residential farmhouse and surrounding agricultural land at the Land Registry, working closely with Private Wealth team to review succession planning and division of property between the family.
What you'll be doing
- Sales and acquisitions of residential and agricultural property;
- Dealing with all property aspects of both registered and unregistered land;
- Undertaking a mixture of property work including granting of rights over land and charging/refinancing.
- Providing assistance to partners on management and supervision of the wider team, if required;
- Working with other specialist teams on more complex matters;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
- Active participation in and, where appropriate leading, marketing initiatives;
- Running own files;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures and with CQS requirements where appropriate
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate/Senior Associate grades. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Flexibility and can do attitude;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Proven track record and aptitude in origination/business development;
- Solid academic record;
- Qualified solicitor with relevant PQE and proven expertise in real estate;
- CQS accreditation is preferable but not essential.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.