We encourage you to reach your full potential.
To explore the opportunities and choices that shape your individual career journey.
Here, personal growth goes hand in hand with professional development in a supportive culture.
No two careers - or two people - are the same at DLA Piper. You can be yourself in a diverse team where every voice is heard and your success is recognised.
DLA Piper is looking to hire an International Accountant, who will join our group accounts team based in Sheffield. The candidate should be a qualified accountant (ideally ACA or ACCA qualified) preferably with experience of working in a professional practice.
This role demands a reliable, capable and skilled individual to support the team in the fulfillment of the wider Finance department's objectives and to drive forward improvements to the group reporting for DLA Piper. We are looking for an individual with strong technical accounting skills who is able to apply these skills to provide practical solutions to complex accounting, structural and regulatory challenges. Experience of working for an International business would be preferred.
Key skills include working on own initiative, accuracy and attention to detail. The ability to build strong relationships with the overseas financial controllers, the tax, partner accounting and compliance teams and other finance teams is essential. The candidate should possess good technical knowledge of current UK GAAP/ IFRS accounting standards and regulatory reporting requirements. An ability to review, document and improve internal processes is also important.
The finance team are currently preparing for the integration of a new financial system which will require considerable co-ordination and assistance from this role, including the cleansing of the data held on the current system prior to migration.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Year end reporting:
- Prepare the statutory accounts for various entities
- Liaise with external auditors
- Review and understand the differences between local statutory accounts and group consolidation packs
- Reconcile the reserves of group entities
- Review submitted consolidation packs and liaise with the relevant overseas financial controllers
- Review the closing journals and ensure that the closing balances agree to the final consolidation packs
Accounting controls & support:
- Main point of contact in central finance for general support, including providing accounting advice, responding to ad-hoc queries and information requests
- Working with the tax team to provide accounting advice and solutions to structural issues
- Working with the financial compliance team to support improvements to financial controls and other efficiencies
- Drive for continued improvement of processes and procedures
- Ensure the accounting for excess profit receipts is correct and appropriately documented
- Provide cover for the senior group accountant as required
- Provide support to other members of the group and international team as required
- Provide support to project teams and other finance teams as required
- Provide training to financial controllers where appropriate
- Provide support on the new finance system implantation project as required
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or relevant equivalent)
- Advanced excel skills
- Self-motivated, logical and organised approach to work
- Keen eye for detail
- Agile & proactive
- Comfort in operating in sometimes ambiguous situations, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative personal working style
- Ability to multi-task and work to conflicting timescales on multiple priorities in a robust and fast-paced environment
- Keen to build up relationships with members of the other finance teams
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.