Resource Manager (12 month contract)
We are looking to recruit a Resource Manager to support teams across our Corporate practice in London on a 12 month contract.
As a Resource Manager, you will play an important role in implementing and supporting the delivery of Work Allocation, helping to provide operational excellence. The Resource Manager will assist the firm in being more agile and providing the right people on the right matters at the right time. You will be responsible for the day to day deployment of lawyers to matters, balancing the needs of the business with the needs of the individual.
You will have an important role in talent management and liaising with the HR and leadership teams, to discuss individual performance and development. You will also be involved in a range of projects that are designed to improve the efficiency and agility of the firm.
The Resource Manager will report directly to the COO and have a dotted line report into the Senior Resource Manager based in Dubai. This is an exciting opportunity for somebody to bring their experience and expertise and apply it within a firm where the work allocation function is rapidly growing.
Role and responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of the work allocation process across the group, including conducting one-to-one consultations with all Partners and Associates.
- Building and proactively maintaining the associated tools required to run the work allocation process
- Updating capacity information and monitoring utilisation for all fee earners in the region on a weekly basis and maintaining ad-hoc updates. Highlighting potential under/over utilisation to the practice group.
- Deployment of resource to matters balancing commercial and individual needs - optimising work allocation to alleviate high/low utilisation, increase mobility and agility and meet individual preferences and development goals.
- Championing the use of alternative resources including utilising support at other offices or our Advance Delivery & Solutions offerings such as the Legal Services Centre, Peerpoint, the PMO and Legal Technology.
- Maintaining information on staff movements between offices, monitoring of joiners, leavers, maternity etc. and holiday tracking.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the lawyers by understanding client requirements and the wider needs of the business, in order to facilitate effective resourcing decisions.
- Challenge requests and deal with potential resource escalations, making decisions on conflicting demands as required.
- Data analysis and reporting of forecasted capacity, utilisation, resource availability, and skill sets.
- Leading resource management projects and initiatives.
- Creating a skills matrix for each new joiner and updating every 6 months
- Liaising with the Belfast office weekly to have an understanding of capacity, as well as building relationships across the network to allow sharing of capacity across global offices.
- Attend and regularly present at Team and Partner meetings to provide updates on work allocation.
- Visit other offices as appropriate, to allow relationship building and aid forward planning.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience within a work allocation/resource management role or similar, and ideally have experience of working in a professional services or large corporate environment. They could also be a Lawyer looking for a change of career direction.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understand the team needs and priorities for resourcing.
- Understand the financial implications of the resourcing decisions made.
- Leads large scale or complex resource allocations liaising with international offices and Advanced Delivery teams as appropriate
- Commercial and risk focussed with good operational business acumen - the ability to exercise good judgment, knowing when to flag issues and when to deal with them independently.
- Anticipates resourcing issues and provides solutions ahead of time
- Ability to influence resource management through presentation of information that is timely and informative.
- The ability to work under pressure and deliver quality outputs, to tight deadlines, and to communicate competing demands effectively.
- Excellent project management and organisational skills and the ability to prioritise and manage both the workload of themselves and the team within which they operate.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills.
- Become a trusted advisor and point of contact on resourcing matters.
- Influencing key stakeholders on resource selection and strategic solutions to achieve maximum utilisation and effective skills mix on matters.
- Be able to build strong working relationships with both the partner group and lawyers (those being deployed as well as those requesting resources) in order to understand their requirements by being well integrated within the offices.
- Be able to consult with a wide range of stakeholders at different levels to understand their needs and wants.
- Respond with empathy and understanding to enhance relationships.
- Be resilient to deal with challenges from people within the business, with good interpersonal and strong influencing skills
- Experience of conflict resolution, with the ability to manage complex conflicts between numerous parties, drawing on robust negotiation skills to resolve them.
- Be able to actively manage expectations and escalate issues where necessary.
- Strong IT skills – experience of working with resource management planning software would be advantageous.
- Advanced Excel skills – experience of working with large volumes of data in Excel and being able to manipulate this to enable effective decision-making.
- Ability to use all technology and established tools effectively.
- Producing, using and analysing management information to make resourcing decisions and recommendations to senior stakeholders.
Allen & Overy is one of the world’s leading corporate advisers. Working alongside some of the world’s most successful companies, commercial and investment banks and private equity firms, the corporate work we do breaks new ground and sets precedents.
Our clients know us as an ambitious, creative and enterprising team of individuals who think differently and embrace the most complex and cutting-edge commercial ventures.
We find innovative new ways to deliver our services and exceed expectations: on public takeovers, private M&A, equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and commercial partnerships, disposals and corporate restructurings.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.