Senior Associate - Investment & Development
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices overall.
From large scale investment and regeneration of Birmingham city centre to local housing in Wolverhampton, our thinking extends beyond the day to day delivery of transactional and advisory legal services to provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions. Our multidisciplinary real estate team advises on investment and development across commercial, retail, residential and mixed use real estate, with a strong inward investment practice. Some of the teams more notable transactions have included acting for one of the UK's largest pension funds on their property portfolio and advising a UK/US joint venture on various industrial development schemes.
What you'll be doing:
We have plans to grow and an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Associate to join our Investment & Development team in Birmingham focusing primarily on commercial property work. The team comprises 4 Partners and 8 lawyers and you will join to work on matters including: joint venture projects; private sector commercial development; investment acquisitions, asset management work; and public sector commercial development.
- Involvement in all property aspects of development and regeneration schemes;
- Undertaking a mix of property work for private sector bodies, government bodies, and local authorities acquisitions of development sites for commercial and mixed use schemes. asset management, and joint venture projects;
- Portfolio sales and acquisitions;
- Providing assistance to partners on management and supervision of the wider team;
- Project management and working with other specialist teams on more complex matters;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
- Active participation in and, where appropriate leading, marketing initiatives;
- Running own files;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate and Senior Associate grades. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application.
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate.
- Strong client focus and service delivery.
- Drive and enthusiasm.
- Commercial awareness.
- Aptitude for business development
- Substantial client management experience.
- Some experience in origination/business development.
- Solid academic record.
- Qualified solicitor with at least 3 PQE in commercial property work.
- Ability to manage files independently.
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.