Senior Associate - Real Estate Finance Security
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins' dedicated Real Estate Finance Security team is made up of 31 lawyers nationally. The team acts for Registered Providers of affordable housing, as well as lenders, funders, institutional investors and security trustees, on all aspects of property due diligence work required to secure various finance structures and to support large scale property transactions.
The team has secured thousands of properties for a large number of capital markets issues (including bonds and private placements) for housing associations across the length and breadth of England and Wales as well as traditional bank lending. The team works collaboratively on a variety of projects, with support provided from the team and wider firm to develop skills and expertise.
Due to growth we are seeking to hire a Senior Associate at 6+ years' PQE into any of our regional offices (Exeter, Birmingham, Manchester).
What you'll be doing
- Involvement in property due diligence aspects of development and regeneration schemes and putting them into charge;
- Project managing charging transactions and overseeing other team members to deliver on tight charging deadlines;
- Assisting on property due diligence for large portfolio sale and acquisition projects;.
- Providing advice to borrowers and funders upon the charging of residential and mixed-development sites and social housing;
- Assisting with the property aspects of large scale capital markets issues and large scale loan refinancing for RP clients;
- Overseeing more junior colleagues on complex search results and Land Registry applications;
- Training and development of junior lawyers (where appropriate);
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries;
- Leading and proactive participation in individual, team and office based business development initiatives;
- Acting for funders on approval and consents to various legal documents entered into by borrowers;
- When required, assisting with other Housing and Regeneration work, for example, development;
- Legal research;
- Running own files;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Active participation in marketing initiatives and business development;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Senior Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Commercial awareness;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Proven track record in origination/business development;
- Ability to manage files independently
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A strong team player;
- Excellent academic record; and
- 6+ years' post qualification experience in property development or security work in private practice, ideally experience of working with housing clients, is beneficial;
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.