Risk Officer - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: Risk & Compliance
Role: Officer – Risk Assessment & Business Protection
Reporting to: Ongoing Monitoring Team Lead/TPRM Team Lead – Risk Assessment & Business Protection
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, working 7.5 hours a day between the core hours of 09:00 – 17:30.
Flexible working is available between the hours of 06:00 – 21:00 and may be required to support global coverage.
You may also be required to work additional hours to meet specific deadlines and/or facilitate project implementations.
Working as part of the Risk Assessment & Business Protection Team to ensure the firm meets its global anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing ("AML/CTF") obligations, as well as its regulatory obligations to prevent bribery and corruption, modern slavery and tax evasion within its supply chain.
Ensuring the firm meets its international regulatory requirements for identifying sanction concerns, politically exposed persons (PEPs) and client related negative press within their existing client base.
Ensuring the firm is protected from a reputational standpoint.
Ensuring regulatory compliance, operational resiliency and adherence to client engagement terms in all aspects of the firm's global procurement processes and supply chain management.
Business as usual:
- Research relevant information sources and databases to compile the documentation needed to identify clients of the firm (and other relevant entities) by reference to the applicable jurisdictional legislation / regulation.
- Record assessments as directed through the system workflow.
- Liaise with fee earners within the firm to obtain any client identification documentation and information that is not publicly available.
- Accurately record relevant client and matter information in the firms Risk Assessment Database.
- Compose written risk assessments and analysis based on factors such as bribery and corruption risk, money laundering risk, jurisdictional risk, sanction concerns and reputation risk.
- Escalate any concerns regarding the validity of a client or the working being undertaken.
- Ensure the firm is adhering to its on-going monitoring obligations by periodically updating the documents and information we hold on our clients.
- Deal with a variety of time sensitive queries from the business.
- Liaise with mentors/Manager for guidance as required.
- Ensure all global suppliers of the firm are consolidated in our TPRM platform.
- Ensure supplier criticality, risk level, data access level and information security systems are analysed, recorded and any required remediation completed.
Project work and control function:
- Work with team members on the various live projects as required.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Degree qualified in Law, Risk Management, Business, Politics, Economics or related discipline.
- Strong organisational and research skills, attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work efficiently, to prioritise and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgement and an inquisitive mind.
- Good team spirit: assist others, when necessary, with the resolution of issues in a diplomatic manner.
- Flexible, versatile and able to adapt to new situations, processes and technology.
- Keen interest in learning about the firm-wide legal practices, and its clients.
- Analytical ability.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Good PC skills and experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience in Risk and Compliance in the professional services sector.
- Knowledge of AML/CTF obligations.