Business Analyst - 6 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: Information Technology - Projects
Role: Business Analyst – 6 Month FTC
Reporting to: Global Projects and Portfolio Manager
Hours of work:
Monday to Friday, 09:00 - 17:30. You may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations or support call resolution.
Work as a Business Analyst on a variety of Ashurst Advance Digital projects, assisting in bringing to life the innovative ideas being formed within that space.
Ashurst Advance Digital are at the forefront of the firm's efforts to develop technology-based solutions for our clients. Their projects will involve deploying and utilising new, modern, legal technology solutions and have led to the firm winning numerous industry awards for innovation in the delivery of legal services.
- Lead requirements analysis, validation and verification, ensuring that requirement statements are complete, traceable and unambiguous.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, workshops, use cases, scenarios and other techniques.
- Undertake business analysis work in relation to specific projects.
- Facilitate requirements prioritisation based on business value.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) with business areas that rely on the information to define system requirements or processes.
- Manage changes to requirements through effective use of change control processes and tools.
- Develop Requirements Management Plans.
- Gather and document business and functional/non-functional requirements.
- Arrange and manage requirement reviews.
- Create visual models to support analysis.
- Identify business solutions.
- Assist with developing and running test programmes in relation to specific systems and projects.
- Prepare clear and concise documentation, and supporting materials in relation to specific projects.
- Work closely with 3rd party suppliers to communicate requirements and deliver solutions.
- Adhere to Ashurst's project methodology.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum 3 years' experience as a Business Analyst with a proven track record of successful project delivery in a professional services company (ideally a law firm) or a legal technology vendor.
- Experience in a business analyst role on technology projects with an application development or software product development scope within both agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Experience of gathering and managing technical details and requirements.
- Able to learn and understand current business processes and help to model new processes/ procedures.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Able to listen to and understand customer requirements.
- Able to operate within a project brief, reporting to the Project Manager as required.
- Working knowledge of different analysis techniques/methods, including requirements definition and specification, ERD/DFDs etc.
- Good knowledge of testing approaches/methods, and experience of devising and running testing procedures.
- Awareness/exposure to different software development life cycles and methods.
- Produce high level solutions/approaches, requiring systems analysis and design skills.
- High level of familiarity with MS Office as a production tool.
- Assist with research and evaluation of software solutions from 3rd party suppliers and production of necessary deliverables such as tender documents, liaising with suppliers.
- Able to handle multiple tasks.
- Able to manage small projects from inception to delivery.
- Full project lifecycle experience.
- Detail oriented with an ability to work accurately and efficiently even when under pressure.
- Ability to complete set tasks with minimal supervision.
- Tactful and diplomatic when in pressured situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Uses initiative - 'can do' approach.
- Client focused.
Desired skills and experience
- A good technical background.
- Experience of working on digital projects.
- Strong requirements elicitation skills.
- Familiar with business application components and application migration.
- Working within a structured project framework.
- Knowledge of legal technology systems such as document automation/analysis/production, e-discovery, content management and legal web/mobile product development.
- Familiar with MS Office for documentation.
- Knowledge of Web technologies and n-tier architecture.
- Knowledge of client-server architecture.
- RDBMS understanding (MS SQL Server).
- Familiar with Windows 10.
- Familiar with ITIL, Prince 2.
- Flowchart and data-flow diagramming.