Head of Cloud Centre of Excellence
Our Technology Landscape.
Few organisations offer the opportunity to establish a Cloud Centre of Excellence and introduce new ways of working that support a cloud-based operating model. DLA Piper offers you all that - and more.
As Head of Cloud Centre of Excellence you will lead and accelerate the adoption of cloud platforms, as well as transition existing IT components and services from our data centres to the cloud. You will incubate innovative new methods of operation and service delivery, and act as a focal point to challenge existing ways of working.
This is a hugely exciting time to join us. We are evolving radically as a business, so you will be much more than ‘just’ a subject expert: challenging the business as the dialogue shifts towards creating a cutting edge firm, placing Technology at the centre of the conversation and client services.
Bringing significant experience as a Cloud leader in an international, complex matrix organisation, you will have a breadth of expertise within Cloud operations in order to lead and accelerate our adoption of cloud platforms; ensuring that we are strongly positioned to redefine the possible.
Redefine Technology . Contact us to discuss all that is possible.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As part of DLA Piper’s migration from on-premise to cloud services, a Cloud Centre of Excellence (CoE) will be established within the IT function. This role will lead the establishment of the Cloud CoE and introduce new ways of working that support the cloud-based operating model.
The Cloud CoE will lead and accelerate the adoption of cloud platforms and the transition of existing IT components and services from data centres to the cloud. The CoE will incubate new methods of operation and service delivery, and act as a focal point to challenge existing ways of working and drive innovation.
The Head of CoE will work closely with other members of the IT Leadership Team (ITLT), drawing upon and fostering skills and expertise across the IT department. The role will also provide advice and guidance to help the business to configure and consume cloud services.
This role is a member of the ITLT and so encompasses a wider responsibility for running the IT Department as a whole. It influences and contributes to the IT Leadership agenda and shares responsibility for ensuring the sound running of the IT Department and stability of key IT services.
- Startup the Cloud CoE. Define and agree with the ITLT how the CCoE will operate together with its organisational roadmap & structure. Define the Vison and agree the charter for the CCoE and communicate and evangelise across the IT department and wider business
- Develop methods, including tools and processes, for managing cloud consumption costs
- Provide technical leadership, define and establish best practices, research, support, mentoring and coaching for all IT staff
- Work in conjunction with key external and internal providers to establish a training and certification regime and champion adoption within the department
- Foster a culture of learning, continuous improvement and innovation, leveraging matrixed resources as agreed
- Work in close collaboration with the Head of Architecture to detail out vision, roadmaps etc
- Proactively engage with demand/capacity management in consultation with the PMO and broader ITLT
- Work closely with the Head of ADQ and wider ITLT to help champion and drive the adoption of methods that improve operational efficiency, via (for example) Infrastructure as Code and wider DevOps transformation
- Drive the adoption of methods that improve operational efficiency, via (for example) Infrastructure as Code
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders including for example Architecture, Information Security, Finance & Operations to own and evolve the cloud strategy
- Own the business case for migration to the cloud, including the costs and benefits of doing so
- Influence key stakeholders as to the benefit of standardised cloud practices
- Advise on KPIs, metrics. tools and SLAs to measure consumption, cost, performance & availability
- Work closely with Procurement & Supplier Value Management to secure best contractual terms and manage vendor performance
- Engage with and educate business stakeholders, both directly, via the CoE team and via Business Partners
- Influence fit for purpose cloud policies that are agnostic, simple to implement and effective
- Enjoy a shared accountability with Operations and Information Security leads to protect and secure cloud services and DLA Piper data
- Support security and compliance auditing as required
- Operationalise consistent cloud migration procedures and tooling
- Continuously develop and improve services offered by the CCoE
- Act as a role model for groups of staff, setting standards and acting professionally at all times
The fast pace in this domain globally necessitates some flexibility in the background and experience required. That said, the role requires an executive with a proven track record in implementing and operating cloud or hybrid-cloud platforms. The CCoE leader needs to possess a high level of business and technical acumen to provide strategic and tactical guidance.
- Experience of managing cloud operations in a complex organisation
- Significant managerial experience in a technological role
- Demonstrable leadership experience, including building and growing a new team
- A breadth of experience in some of: operations, service delivery, architecture, project delivery, information security, process improvement, vendor management
- Proven experience in cloud operations with demonstrable knowledge and experience of the pitfalls to be avoided
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to span and influence multiple functions, both within IT and across the broader business. Includes an ability to translate and communicate technical concepts in ways which make sense to non-technical stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable in how to implement data sovereignty, privacy, security, access, authentication and other non-functional areas of importance
- Experience of working with a globally dispersed team
- Experience in forming, mobilising and motivating high achieving teams, working in a matrix environment and taking into account individual and team dynamics
- Adept at achieving high levels of business engagement and managing diverse stakeholders
- Sound negotiation skills with the ability to convince key stakeholder of the advantages of new ways of working
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.