Corporate Senior Associate
"Great quality in specialist areas..., which is hard to find outside London" – Chambers UK
We are looking for a Senior Associate to join our highly regarded Corporate team in the Thames Valley. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-respected and expanding team with the prospect of a varied and complex workload. You will have the opportunity to work on both national and international deals whilst also becoming involved in some of the region's most significant transactions.
Osborne Clarke’s corporate team is known as the leading firm in the region, with a reputation that leads to us being instructed on the most significant transactions. Providing City-quality, we are the only firm in the Thames Valley covering each specialist area (Venture Capital, Private Equity, M&A/corporate and Corporate Finance for plcs) in depth. Our leading position is reflected in our work levels.
We act for a number of leading companies and deal doers in the Thames Valley (for example: LDC, Conduent, Davies Group, Bridges, BGF, Intersurgical and Xeretec). We have developed key sector-focuses, in which areas we have achieved a nationwide reputation. These include TMC, Financial Services and Real Estate & Infrastructure.
The team in Reading is fully integrated into a UK-wide network, including a rapidly expanding London office, and a fast-growing international network.
To find out more about the practice, please see the link below.
"As lawyers I find them straightforward, pragmatic and enjoyable to work with" – Chambers UK
The team is led by Sara Valentine, Partner, and also comprises of 3 further Partners, 3 Associate Directors, 1 Senior Associate, 4 Associates and 2 Trainee Solicitors. The team also works closely with the Corporate teams in Osborne Clarke LLP's Bristol and London offices, meaning that the department is made up of 70 lawyers overall.
- Advised LDC, part of Lloyds Banking Group, on an £11 million investment in James and James Fulfilment. The investment will be used to further enhance its market-leading, software-enabled e-fulfilment proposition.
- We advised Windsor Telecom on its refinancing with Thincats, and simultaneous acquisition of Keen IT and Keen VoIP.
- Acted for Thames Valley based Xeretec Group Limited on a sale of shares by the majority shareholders in Xeretec Group Limited to a new management team shareholder.
- Advised Davies Group on the acquisition of law firm Keoghs. This is one of the largest M&A transactions involving a law firm, since the Legal Services Act 2017 permitted non-lawyers to own and manage law firms.
- Advised Whitehelm Capital, one of the world’s largest independent infrastructure managers, on its initial £80 million investment into Smart City operator Connexin.
- Acted for Faac S.p.A on the acquisition of the UK Auto Pedestrian Doors and Assa Abloy Entrance Systems business.
- We acted for the shareholders of Moortec Semiconductor Limited in the sale of the company to Synopsys, Inc. (a US entity) following a bid process to sell the business during the summer (OC supported in preparing the Company at this stage).
- Advised Highland Europe on (1) its investment in Farewill, the UK's largest will writing tech start-up; and (2) its investment in Modulr, a payments as a service platform for digital business.
- Advising on-demand merchandise platform Moteefe on their $11m Series C funding round.
- Advised Focus Group, a leading UK provider of communications and IT solutions, and its shareholders and management team, on the sale of a significant minority stake to Bowmark, the mid-market private equity firm and the simultaneous refinancing by Blackrock.
Technical skills and experience
As a guide, due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking to appoint a Senior Associate lawyer, although we will consider candidates with more or less experience. You will have trained with a highly respected law firm, preferably a city or national law firm and have a very strong academic background.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive and be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.