Legal Process Improvement Lead - PMO
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over 30 countries all over the world. We’re built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners and senior leadership acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We’re thoughtful and inventive, and we’ve developed a culture in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We’re one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Department purpose and structure
The Project Management Office (PMO) is a department within Advanced Delivery & Solutions whose role is to:
- Provide legal project management tools, training and support to our lawyers to enhance the delivery of our legal work.
- Promote and facilitate the use of Advanced Delivery & Solutions by practice groups through Advanced Delivery Practice Leads.
- Deliver legal process improvement to product areas, including (but not limited to) areas which are currently: delivered inefficiently or would benefit from utilising Advanced Delivery & Solutions technology, resourcing and end-to-end solutions; have low profitability; or have become commoditised.
To build the firm’s capability in legal process improvement. This will include creating a framework to identify, design, implement, monitor and measure process improvement projects across practice groups.
- Executive Director – Project Management Office
- I2 Innovation Team
- Advanced Delivery Senior Managers (PMO and LegalTech)
- Advanced Delivery Senior Associates (LSC)
- COOs and Finance Managers for Global Practice Groups
Advanced Delivery & Solutions is committed to providing technology, resourcing and end-to-end solutions for our clients. This includes delivering legal services in new and flexible ways. In this context, there is an opportunity to review existing legal processes, which may for example be challenged by commoditisation or market pricing, with a view to redesigning them to take full advantage of the mature portfolio of services that Advanced Delivery & Solutions has to offer.
Role and responsibilities
- Working with practice groups to analyse existing legal processes to identify target areas for improvement
- Ownership of end-to-end solution
- Creating business cases for improvement projects
- Gaining stakeholder input and buy-in through facilitating workshops with stakeholders
- Designing solutions to meet the pain-points identified through workshops
- Leading the implementation and adoption of identified improvements
- Measuring the effectiveness of the improved processes, refining as necessary, and monitoring medium to long term effectiveness
- Providing thought leadership on process redesign
- Working closely with practice groups to identify, analyse, design and deliver legal process improvement.
- Day-to-day deep working relationship with Advanced Delivery & Solutions departments to understand their services so that they can be imbedded within legal processes
- Provide feed-back to Advanced Delivery & Solutions on services (process, resourcing and technology) that they should deliver to maximise their usefulness to practice groups.
- Appropriate for a senior lawyer from a magic or silver circle firm, who has a proven track record in end-to-end legal process re-design
- Also suitable for a senior process improvement specialist from a professional services firm, who has a proven track record in end-to-end process re-design
- Desirable to have a Green Belt or Black Belt (preferable) in Lean Six Sigma
- Be resilient and determined to see through the end-to-end solution
- Advanced change management skills to ensure that changes are implemented smoothly, leading to long-term change
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with attention to detail and a focus on delivering results
- Strong communication skills which will engage stakeholders of all levels in process re-design projects
- Be able to quickly establish relationships with legal process improvement teams and generate enthusiasm for change
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and ability to develop practical solutions to complex problems
- Ability to see the big picture and think strategically about the value that process improvement can bring to legal products and matter efficiency
- Persistence and determination to see through projects which innovate and drive change