Innovation and Legal Technology – Product Manager
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
We are looking for a Product Manager to support our Head of Innovation and Legal Technology. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the heart of Innovation at Trowers, developing client solutions and driving the adoption of legal technology across all departments, to improve our delivery of services to clients.
Key responsibilities and challenges
- Part of the team managing the strategic roadmap for legal technology within the Firm.
- Responsibility of running some of the day to day operations of the tech platforms, including administration and development of platforms such as HighQ and Kira.
- Playing a key role in developing reports, metrics including developing product KPIs and feedback for management and other stakeholders to help with the evolution for the vision of the tech tools and overall business strategy.
- With colleagues as appropriate, drive the identification, evaluation and implementation of new technology and provide feedback to project teams and vendors.
- Assisting with the governance of best practice and processes for legal technology use across UK and international offices.
- Participation in document automation delivery where required.
- Assisting with the management of content of innovation resources and publications.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, lawyers, support staff, clients and client relationship partners to develop a deep understanding of legal work and existing processes in order to advise and assist internal stakeholders with the implementation of legal tech tools to enhance our client service delivery.
- Providing Legal Technology transactional support to fee earners and clients.
- Promoting the use of our existing legal tech to our lawyers and encouraging innovative uses.
- Leading integration between products, configuration or further customisation of existing solutions.
- Identifying requirements for new solutions.
- Delivering training, presentations and demonstrations of legal tech to our lawyers and clients, including participation in the preparation and delivery of pitches to clients where appropriate.
- Coordinate and collaborate with all other business support teams to ensure appropriate integration and governance of client solutions with the Firm systems and processes.
- Perform other duties necessary and essential to support the Firm's strategic technology goals.
The list of duties and responsibilities above is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for, the performance of this job. As such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Characteristics, skills & experience required
- Previous experience of Legal Technology platforms, (such as HighQ and Kira) essential.
- Great communication skills with the ability to adapt your approach based on your audience i.e. technical, non technical.
- You must be analytical and independent – take ownership of projects and drive outcomes with minimal supervision, but be confident to ask for help when needed.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with vendors, fee earners, and clients and clearly articulate and explain the benefits of legal technology in non technical terms.
- Technical skills and comprehension to accurately and efficiently assess the capabilities and potential of legal technology products and vendors and their compatibility with the Firm’s wider technology.
- Diplomacy skills to assist with the typical change management issues inherent in any implementation of new technologies and processes; ability to build consensus and work effectively with a cross-functional international team and with lawyers, to drive-through projects to their conclusion.
- Working knowledge and awareness of the current legal technology landscape, and of best practices and developments in AI-enabled and automated legal technologies, and the ability to apply this knowledge to promote continuous improvement.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to prioritise work effectively, meet deadlines and complete simultaneous projects.
- Team player with a positive and proactive attitude.
- Drive and enthusiasm, a willingness to learn, flexibility and commitment.
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach.
- Able to problem solve and design innovative solutions to achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrable expertise in standard business software applications such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Experienced, with knowledge and skills in artificial intelligence, machine learning, decision tree logic, automation and workflow tools.
- Educated to degree level in a Law or Computer Science discipline or equivalent (Legal training preferred).
We also require awareness of and full participation in the Firm’s commitment to equality and diversity and sustainability.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.