Associate / Senior Associate - Private Wealth
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a Top 50 international law firm with over 160 partners and more than 900 people located across the UK, Middle East and Asia.
We take a commercial and collaborative approach our work, with a strong emphasis on training. Our teams across the firm are built on trust, integrity and personality. Our strength lies in our ability to come up with diverse ideas; to see things from a range of perspectives. Put simply, inclusivity is intrinsic to the way we work, and it means we’re committed to finding the right people for our firm.
Where you'll work
Private Wealth has always been an integral part of Trowers & Hamlins and forms part of a wider Tax and Private Wealth practice. The team is led by Jonathan Kropman and includes 5 further partners based across our UK and international offices.
The group advises a wide range of individuals and families, family offices, wealthy families and private wealth advisors on matters involving tax, wealth planning, structuring and philanthropy as well as the more traditional areas of private wealth.
The purpose of this role is to work directly with our Private Wealth Partners to provide a first class service to clients and assist in the future development of the group.
We are looking for a lawyer to join our London team who act for HNWIs, family offices, trustees and organisations servicing the private wealth sector both in the UK and internationally. The team acts for clients with widespread multi-jurisdictional elements to their business and personal affairs.
The role will involve all types of private client advisory and implementation work, with a focus on international and cross border tax and estate planning.
What you'll be doing
The successful candidate will be expected to advise clients, with support where needed, in the following areas:
- Advising on international personal and trust tax issues for high net worth individuals, families and trustees.
- Domicile and residence assessments and planning.
- Remittance basis, pre arrival and exit to/from the UK planning.
- Offshore trust planning.
- Income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax assessments and planning.
- Tax and regulatory compliance for individuals and trusts.
- Estate and asset protection planning including Wills, trusts, powers of attorney, probate planning and court of protection.
- Family Governance.
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships.
- Pro-active participation in marketing initiatives.
- Efficient file management skills and ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
- Training and development of junior legal staff and PA (where appropriate).
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate/Senior Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application
- Strong client focus
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Commercial awareness and excellent financial management
- Solid academic record
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of 4 years PQE across a whole range of international private client and tax matters
- Client management experience
- STEP member or willingness to complete STEP
- Ability to manage files independently
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.