Associate - Property Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Trowers & Hamlins is a top 40 UK law firm with a turnover in excess of £100m, and our legal directories-recognised national property litigation team comprises over 30 lawyers. The department act for a wide range of corporates, investors and asset management companies, retailers, residential landlords and individuals and boasts particular expertise in the commercial landlord and tenant, retail and leisure, development, and insolvency sectors. We benefit from working closely with our market leading Real Estate department and also generate a lot of work from our own clients and contacts.
We provide a fully integrated real estate dispute resolution service for clients, working closely alongside our national real estate, projects, construction and commercial litigation teams.
Where you'll work
This role will offer opportunities to work autonomously, with support from the team. It will focus on providing a first class service to clients, proactive marketing / profile-raising and exceptional client management. The successful candidate will have a clear track forward, will be well supported at Partner level and by other fee-earners, and will be joining a highly collaborative and collegiate culture.
What you'll be doing
- You will manage a range of work involving commercial landlord and tenant, disputes concerning property contracts, property insolvency, residential landlord and tenant, rights of way, adverse possession, restrictive covenants and dilapidations;
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries;
- Proactive participation in individual, team and office based business development initiatives;
- Participation in firm-wide and departmental meetings, training sessions and social events;
- Delegating client work effectively to more junior fee-earners as appropriate;
- Contributing effectively to department and firm wide performance goals; and
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
What you'll need:
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate level. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application
- Strong client focus
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Commercial awareness and excellent financial management
- Flexibility and credibility
- Client management experience
- Ability to manage files independently and work to deadlines
- Team player
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of 3 years PQE across a whole range of commercial property litigation experience or equally we would consider applications from those who could contribute more experience to the team;
- Interest in marketing and profile raising
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.