HR Services Team Lead
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Area: ASC People
Role: ASC People Team Lead
Reporting to: ASC People Operations Manager
Hours of work:
Core service hours 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Flexibility required in start/finish times due to the global nature of the offices we provide services to.
Ashurst has established a Global Delivery Centre known as Ashurst Service Central (ASC) to provide professional support services to teams of lawyers and support staff operating across the world. ASC People operates from Brisbane (Australia) and Glasgow (Scotland) and provides the full spectrum of employee life cycle administrative support to the firm.
The role will initially provide full time maternity cover for the Glasgow ASC People Team Lead and thereafter support the ASC People Operations Manager in the delivery of key change projects as well as providing team lead support for an ever growing function. ASC People are broadening its services by moving HR administration work from Ashurst offices around the world to the Glasgow ASC team. There are also plans to expand its service catalogue and use technology to create an even better customer experience and remove inefficiencies. It is a busy and exciting time as we look to grow our operation.
The candidate will have a flexible approach to work and be comfortable undertaking team leadership responsibilities as well as providing project support. When providing project support this will involve investigating current ways of working, identifying opportunities for improvements, updating process maps, task lists and process guides, and attending new customer meetings to document service requirements.
The ideal candidate will have a background in HR management and will inspire the team to strive for excellence in customer service and be confident in complaint resolution and handling questions regarding the service from Managers, Partners and employees as they arise.
The Team Lead will have responsibility for promoting standardised ways of working and ensuring delivery of exceptional, high-quality service to employees and Partners of the firm. There will be a focus on adhering to agreed SLOs and complying with statutory and jurisdictional requirements.
The successful candidate will need to be nimble as the service changes over time and excited by continuous service improvement. We say this because:
- This role will play a central part in working with customers to assist in the transition of processes from other parts of the firm into ASC People.
- The role includes the management and overseeing of end to end people lifecycle processes and activities. This will involve liaising with other functional areas to introduce a single point of contact for employees and line managers within the firm.
- The Team Lead will also be expected to support the ASC People Operations Manager in developing service management tools and promoting self-service tools wherever possible.
- Lead and motivate the team to deliver an exceptional service, ensuring team members have the skills and knowledge to deliver on agreed outcomes.
- Creating an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Coach and develop team members, ensuring clear objectives are set and aligned with the ASC and firm strategy.
- Identify development opportunities for team members within ASC.
- Proactively manage team and individual issues, including time and attendance, absence management and performance management.
- Facilitate regular team meetings with the team, setting clear agenda items and ensuring you follow up on agreed actions.
- Identify training needs for the team.
- Set clear individual and team goals.
- Delegate tasks and set deadlines for your internal team.
- Plan and manage the workflow and case management allocation across the team, through full and comprehensive queue management.
- Monitor the service/case management system to ensure service standards are met, records are updated in a timely manner, responses are accurate and in line with process, and cases are closed or updated with follow up actions diarised.
- Manage the provision of timely, consistent administrative services to the firm and external parties, ensuring compliance with legislation, internal policies and best practice.
- Work with the ASC Management team to ensure effective resource management.
- Identify, make recommendations for and deliver service improvements using best practice, user feedback and feedback from the team.
- Support your team with complex cases/queries.
- Analyse and monitor the resource utilisation, volume metrics, day to day performance and user perception of the operation through statistical management and support from Service Improvement Manager(s).
- Monitor and resolve non-compliance, complaint and critical management issues to resolution, escalating as appropriate.
- Share team activities and capacity with key stakeholders and inform the ASC People Operations Manager of upcoming activities that may lead to increase in demand.
- Share ideas and feedback on improving the user experience. Act on any feedback received (positive and constructive) and put in place action plans to address areas of concern to enhance customer satisfaction and SLOs/KPIs.
- Facilitate regular contact with the relevant stakeholders, setting clear agenda items and ensuring you follow up on agreed actions.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- People management experience.
- HR background.
- HR database experience (preferably Oracle).
- Previous experience within a Shared Service or outsourced environment at a similar level.
- Proven track record of providing quality customer service.
- Demonstrated ability with computer skills including intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise own workload and assist other team members to achieve collective goals.
- Demonstrated experience responding to high volumes of queries, ensuring quality output.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clear and concise language verbally and with written correspondence.
- Problem solving skills.
- Enjoys working with processes and looking at ways to standardise, simplify and automate.
- Collaborative approach to working.
- Customer service skills
- Working knowledge of best practice HR/L&OD administration.
- Motivates others to achieve high levels of performance.
- Delegates effectively, empowering team to make decisions.
- Plan and implement appraisals across teams.
- Effectively manage poor performance.
Desired skills and experience
- Data analysis, manipulation and reporting experience.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies.
- Proven ability to collaborate and influence key stakeholders, peers and senior management.
- Experience in the use of service management systems.
- Use of Visio in the creation of process maps.
- Writing process guides.
- Effective in building and developing teams.
- HR qualification.