We currently have an opportunity for an Infrastructure Architect to join our IT team in London. This manager level role will be responsible for selection, design, development and planning of Infrastructure services for use by employees and clients globally. They will be responsible for translation of functional requirements into architecture and design artefacts. Post design they will assume a design authority role within the governance of project and programme delivery. Each member of the Architecture team is expected to be consultative in areas they are extremely competent in as well as having the ability to quickly understand new technologies, working practices and how best to apply these within the business.
Role and responsibilities
- For Technical Design Documents:
- Creates solution options and architectures that align to the IT strategy, ensuring any deviations are agreed with the respective architects
- Performs the Design Authority role on projects ensuring that the detailed designs and solutions delivered align to the agreed solution architecture and resolve any design issues as they arise
- Ensures alignment with Architecture Standards through representation on Design Authority groups
- Challenge the status quo, identify opportunities and take ownership to improve IT services
- Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring all strategy, architecture, standards, patterns, principles and roadmap outputs are understood by the relevant teams
- In conjunction with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals, quickly resolves any technical design issues that may arise applying an architectural approach and following our principles so that progress is not delayed.
- Works with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed in alignment with Architectural standards and principles and are implemented to design
- Creates and maintains reusable assets that generalise architectural and design approaches. Ensures that the patterns are ‘fit for purpose’ to be used by delivery projects and that projects apply them appropriately.
- Keeps up to date with trends and developments in all relevant technologies and is able to state the benefits these may bring to the organisation
- Provides technical thought leadership to ensure we develop and procure the right technologies and services through proactively inputting into the appropriate technology roadmaps.
- Act, where necessary, as the Technical Lead role on IT projects. This will include:
- Willingness to get into the detail of projects and lead direction on projects and products
- Analysis of business/information requirements and architect solutions to support those requirements;
- Provide analysis for technical alternatives, and technical risk analysis for proposed systems;
- Creation of high-level solution designs that address the needs of key stakeholders from the business, solution delivery and operational areas;
- Ensuring relevant teams are aware of the technologies being implemented and the implications, i.e. enhancing the collaboration between teams that are involved in the successful delivery of projects.
- Create and maintain technical design documentation and help with definition of operational procedures.
- Provide technical expertise and support for service management in the resolution of complex incidents and problems.
- Understanding of the transition process of products and services into operational use.
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Having an open mind to consider all alternatives when making technology decisions.
- Ability to develop good working relationships across the breadth of the IT function and effectively share knowledge between individuals and teams to contribute to the overall effectiveness of project and service improvement work.
- Experience of working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of the challenges this may bring.
- Expected to have mastery of at least one infrastructure domain at Enterprise scale.
- In depth knowledge with regards to protecting application and data through implementation of infrastructure solutions to meet business resilience and recovery requirements.
- In depth knowledge of datacentre infrastructure and how to transform and operate these in a hybrid environment.
- Design level knowledge of defining and deploying infrastructure for on premise, private, public and hybrid cloud and knowing when to leverage each.
- Design level knowledge of Microsoft and Linux based hosts and their supporting eco systems.
- Knowledge of deploying via Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Knowledge and experience of working in continuous delivery environments and an understanding of the tool stack that supports this operating model.
- A solid understanding and active working experience of all technologies utilised in a hybrid datacentre and public cloud model.
- Understanding of advanced network concepts and how this critical layer supports the delivery of Infrastructure services.
- Understanding of the challenges of operating in a multi-speed IT environment and using modern working practices to achieve success and/or fail quickly.
- Understand modern security requirements and the need to provide protection at the infrastructure layer for applications and data.
- Understands and can explain IT market and trends.
- Proven experience of selecting, designing and delivering Infrastructure solutions within a global Enterprise.
- Proven experience of designing and delivering Microsoft Azure services, leveraging Infrastructure as Code and Azure DevOps.
- Proven experience of driving forward the cloud agenda and influencing adoption.
- Proven experience of developing comprehensive technical documentation, including Technical Design documents, Infrastructure diagrams, support transition guides and other project specific documentation.
- Experience of the full Microsoft stack such as Windows Server, Active Directory, DNS and clustering.
- Experience of working with Linux Distributions such as Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise and CentOS.
- Experience with Enterprise level storage systems such as HPE, NetApp, Brocade and Nexsan.
- Experience with Enterprise data protection technologies such as Veritas NetBackup and Commvault.
- Experience of networking technologies such as WAN optimisation, switches, SD-WAN, Firewalls and load balancers based on Cisco, Riverbed and Citrix
- Experience with designing highly available resilient Infrastructure solutions across a global estate to support application and data availability.
- Experience working with virtualisation and container technologies such as VMWare, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working within large projects as part of a team with the confidence and knowledge to influence technical direction.
- Experience of communicating to senior stakeholders and interpreting complex technical solutions through the use of simple language.
- Experience of working within a regulated industry and an understanding of the compliance and security challenges.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.