Working Capital Controller
We are currently seeking UK based candidates willing to relocate to Madrid to join our Finance team as a Working Capital Controller. This role will provide support for matters originated in Spain, supporting the Local Partners on billing, collections, Practice metrics and KPIS, profitability analysis, etc. The WCC will build a relationship with the Spanish Partners, PAs, and other Fee Earners generally to support them on working capital management of their matters and provide commercial insight to be able to drive up profitability.
Job description and responsibilities
- Conduct Monthly meetings with Partners and PAs to review current WIP (Work in Progress) & Debtors (Accounts Receivable) ledgers.
- Review and agree billing process for existing WIP. Execute and issue invoices as required following Partners/Fee Earners instructions.
- Comprehensive follow up of action items from Partner meetings, such as time transfer, time write off, dispatch of billing guides, disbursements, queries etc.
- Administering and processing of bills in the system (3E) ensuring time and disbursements are accurately charged and allocated.
- Providing analysis of financial information in support of bills, i.e. hourly schedules, disbursements and narrative breakdowns where required.
- Ensure compliance with Global Tax Regimes, e.g. GST, Withholding tax, Corporate Income Tax, Value-added Tax etc.
- Ensuring all ebilling requirements are met for invoices.
- Communicate with partners to ensure they are across their outstanding debtors.
- Resolve outstanding debtors with partners and clients in line with firm processes. When needed prepare an action plan in alignment with Partners to chase the outstanding debt.
- Liaise with external counterparts to follow up payments.
- Escalating of aged debt to Partners, other finance team members as required.
- Production of Working Capital Reports (i.e. missing timesheet, Work-In-Progress (WIP) and Account Receivables) on a monthly basis to help facilitate meetings with Partners.
- Work with Partners to produce billing Forecasts, ensuring data is up to date and give an accurate estimate of billings.
- Produce month-end working capital reports to target overstated WIP and Bad Debts and influence other working capital decisions.
- Production of Client Specific Reports, e.g. accrued WIP Reports within agreed timeframes
- Produce audit reports for Clients and internal audits when requested.
Pricing and commercial support, business partnering
- Pricing support to Partners and BD/Marketing for commercial activities, pitchings, client reporting, profitability analysis, etc.
- Support on global and local rate agreements.
- Support for partners with fee caps in place, scenario analysis re negotiating fee cap increases.
- Early warning on matters where write offs will go to the FMC, and support partners with FMC breach applications.
- Matter structure support – creation of phases and tasks.
- Relationship support for top clients.
- Review missing time sheet reports and chase individual offenders, busyness reporting.
- Run billing update reports for partners and matter managers
- Review draft invoices
- Matter inception, inputting on rate structure, beta data, fee estimates
- Handle complex, unresolved e-billing issues that Belfast cannot help with
- Chase partners, associates and PAs to complete tasks required to be able to issue an invoice
- Regular and ad hoc client reports
Tax and regulatory complexity
- Problem solve on complex cross border tax scenarios (our matters and clients are generally multi-jurisdictional in a region with highly varied tax, regulatory and language environments).
Efficient working processes
- Continuous development of the working capital management end to end process to improve billing and collection efficiency, and profitability.
- Adoption and Implementation of global policy/process initiatives
- Previous similar experience in a legal or professional services environment.
- Experience of and confidence to work with partners and other senior stakeholders.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Willingness to relocate to Madrid.