A&O Consulting - Manager
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering excellence, in all that we do. Today, we’re continuing to break new ground. By embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work, we’ve been named as the Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe by the Financial Times five times.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and acceptance. We’re driven by the belief that, to perform, people need support and space to collaborate. By combining those values with an ambitious outlook, we can give you the opportunity to thrive.
Market disruption, tightening regulations and increased cross-border working are demanding new ways of thinking. Our consulting team helps clients respond to these unprecedented challenges. We provide high-quality, business-focused advice on issues relating to governance, corporate purpose and culture, conduct and operational risk, and regulation. Integrated with the firm’s existing legal capabilities, A&O Consulting allows the firm to offer a truly one-stop solution to clients. The team works with colleagues across the firm to build on existing client relationships and to spot opportunities leveraging the collective knowledge of our clients.
We deliver sustainable solutions ensuring our clients solve their most pressing challenges, so they can unlock growth and drive business transformation.
As a Manager, you would support the Managing and Executive Directors in execution of our business, product and client strategy. You would be seen as a market leading expert providing high quality, innovative advice and solutions to our clients. The role requires an individual with the ability to listen deeply to clients and understand their needs while providing high quality advice and solutions covering a wide range of issues.
You would be expected to manage teams on client mandates but might also be required to manage personnel outside of client projects. You would also be able to identify and develop new products that clients would find valuable in helping them to meet challenges in their business.
Role and responsibilities
- Responsible for completing project based assignments within agreed timescales; including leading client proposals and execution of client mandates.
- Maintaining strong client relationships and utilising existing networks to develop new client business (in conjunction with Managing Director and Executive Directors)
- Keeping abreast of current and evolving regulatory themes and priorities and areas of focus regulations, principally in the UK, and helping to create opportunities for future product solutions for clients
- Maintaining technical knowledge in relation to changes to financial services rules and guidance (including PRA, FCA, FRC and EU regulatory developments) and communicating this knowledge effectively within the team
- Build awareness and opportunities for collaboration within the legal partnership and collaborating with the legal teams on jointly led projects
- Driving innovation and achieving success
- Interacting with clients often at senior levels
- Continually improving the team operating environment and working practices
- Actively promote an inclusive and diverse work environment
- Management reporting and record keeping
- An ability to work across multiple projects and an adaptable and flexible thinker, capable of broadening horizons to meet new challenges
- Commercial skills; the ability to assist EDs and MDs with proposals and drive business development solutions proactively
- Business acumen; the ability to distil complex regulatory scenarios into commercial solutions which add value to clients
- Experience of working in a regulated industry or a regulator:
- including excellent knowledge of current and evolving regulatory priorities and areas of focus, principally in the EU and UK
- a sound understanding of regulatory frameworks within the EU and UK
- Relationship management; recognised by clients as a trusted adviser and able to build and maintain internal and external relationships, including at senior levels
- Project execution skills and significant experience across one or more of our core offerings Ability to present results to clients in a variety of formats, including written reports, MS Word and Power Point and project management tools
- Ideally, you would have experience of either:
- Working to support a risk and control framework environment; this might be undertaking risk identification, assessment or mitigation, or control design or testing in operational, compliance or Financial Crime risk areas; or
- Financial crime remediation experience, for example experience of preparing for regulatory visits, pre- or post-enforcement action, or through a skilled persons review.
Who we are looking for
- Leadership capability, initiative and independent judgement
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Driven and motivated to work in a continual changing environment
- Able to work under pressure with accuracy and focus
- Proven planning and prioritising skills
- Strong team player
- Willing to travel
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.