Senior Business Analyst (CML) - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Area: Central Management and Operations
Role: Senior Business Analyst (12 month FTC) - CML
Location: Glasgow. Travel may be required from time to time
Reporting to: CML Project Manager
Hours of work: Monday to Friday 09.00 – 17.30. . You may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations.
The Business Services Transformation team is engaged is the delivery of a core part of the firm's business plan to help drive performance to 2023, and enable the firm to build and provide market leading business services. This includes making organisation changes (including processes and changes to service delivery) which allows the firm to be able to respond to the changing demands of clients, evolving technology and market efficiency drives, and embrace different ways of working.
This role will be working as part of the CML programme, working closely with existing teams to understand the processes they currently undertake and helping to document and streamline those processes to make them suitable for use in a centralised and shared services environment. It will include analysis, documentation and streamlining of end to end business processes relating to working practice and procedures (As-Is and To-Be), focusing on understanding and documenting the As-Is processes, creating the To-Be process documentation, and being part of the project team to transform the way they work globally.
- Capturing of As-Is processes along with all interfaces, controls, inputs, outputs and costs.
- Development of workable To-Be processes that deliver efficiencies, cost savings and global standardisation of working practice.
- Identify stakeholders within the As-Is and To-Be processes to ensure all challenges and requirements are captured and can be verified with the appropriate users.
- Capture and documentation of requirements (business, functional and non-functional, data, etc.) using programme defined templates.
- Lead workshops, interviews, shadowing, etc. with appropriate stakeholders, some of which may be in a different geographical location and/or time zone to yourself.
- Development of To Be processes that support centralisation of work into a Shared Service environment where applicable.
- Support the creation of business procedures and related user documentation such as Work Instructions and Checklists, including training materials.
- Close liaison with technology teams to automate processes wherever beneficial to do so.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Extensive experience as a senior business analyst working on process mapping, requirements gathering, streamlining processes, and implementing process efficiencies within a professional services company, ideally a law firm.
- Demonstrable experience of working on complex, large-scale business transformation within a global organisation.
- Finance transformation experience particularly around the following processes: pricing, working capital management, billing and collections (order to cash).
- Understanding of order management systems / finance systems / practice management systems preferably Elite 3e.
- Strong planner with ability to spot tenuous links and critical process dependencies.
- Organised and able to prioritise diverse workload to meet deadlines within robust project framework.
- Working knowledge of different analysis techniques/methods, including requirements definition and specification.
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with teams remotely in a global context.
- Demonstrates an ability to quickly understand the key component steps and interfaces within operational business processes and model new processes/procedures.
- Good attention to detail whilst being a logical thinker, clear communicator and possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of business process mapping methodology and disciplines.
- Very proficient in use of MS Office tools (especially Visio, Excel, Word & PowerPoint).
- Able to liaise and influence senior stakeholders within the firm.
- Tactful and diplomatic when in pressured situations, with ability to challenge and motivate others.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written, with an ability to bring clarity to an operational environment with complex influencing factors.
- Possesses strong customer mindset and a desire to deliver world-class service outcomes.
- Effective problem solving, planning and decision making skills in a complex environment.
Desired skills and experience
- Preferably, experience of managing business change within a shared services environment with strong focus on standardisation and optimisation.
- Strong understanding of Continuous Improvement and Project Management methodologies (i.e. Lean Six Sigma, Agile, PRINCE).