Legal Executive or Solicitor - Property Litigation
- Experience Level
- 0-2yrs PQE, 2-5yrs PQE, 5+ yrs PQE, Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
We provide a fully integrated and dedicated real estate dispute resolution service for our clients; working closely with our national real estate, projects, construction and litigation teams.
Our practice has extensive experience of acting for private and public sector clients on a wide range of contentious property matters.
Our clients are typically institutional investors, developers, corporate occupiers, public sector organisations and management companies. Our clients value pragmatic legal advice, delivered in a commercial manner and tailored to their objectives.
Whilst the main focus of the team's work is commercial property litigation, we do handle residential property disputes also (especially in the investment and management company arenas).
Where an early commercial outcome is not possible, we pursue or defend proceedings in the High Court, County Court and First-tier Tribunal. We also regularly engage in all forms of alternative disputes resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
We have a growing real estate litigation practice in the regions, and particularly in Birmingham where we are focusing on growing our Midlands client base whilst also acting for a number of our national / London-based clients.
In order to ensure we are fully able to resource the growing number of work opportunities arising, we are looking to appoint a Solicitor/Legal Executive to be based in Birmingham.
What you'll do:
- Work in a team environment, supported by colleagues who are genuinely interested in your development, experience and progression;
- Advise a mixed client base of high profile commercial sector clients on a broad range of real estate disputes;
- Gain significant experience acting for investors, developers and corporate occupiers on commercial landlord and tenant matters and development disputes;
- Act for public sector organisations, including investment / pension funds, in relation to the full ambit of contentious issues arising across their portfolios – including some exciting projects, dealing with high value and high profile assets;
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to clients, in an effort to achieve their commercial objectives without recourse to formal dispute resolution processes;
- Provide advice in writing, by telephone and at meetings – gaining real exposure to clients and other advisers in the process;
- Handle all aspects of court proceedings including pleadings, the disclosure process, witness statements, the obtaining of expert evidence, trial preparation and trial;
- Progress and manage cases in accordance with court directions, instructing specialist counsel as necessary;
- Negotiate and document settlements – including associated tactical advice on offers and without prejudice dialogue;
- Build and maintain effective client relationships – growing your network all the time;
- Actively participate in marketing initiatives, including training days / seminars / meetings with existing and potential clients;
- Effectively manage files, time recording and billing;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures; and
- Participate in firm-wide, office and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need:
The firm has a competency framework for Solicitor / Legal Executive level, and in particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files;
- Presentation / advocacy skills;
- Self-motivation, drive and enthusiasm;
- Excellent technical skills;
- Strong client focus;
- Team based approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills; and
- Flexibility and commitment.
- Excellent academic record; and
- Qualified Solicitor or Legal Executive with 0-2 years' post qualification experience.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.