Associate - Investment & Development
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices overall.
Our team is award winning, most recently winning Law Firm of the Year at the Insider North West Residential Property Awards, our Manchester practice focus on deeper connections between real estate and commerce, communities and culture that impact the way people live and work. From luxury city living destinations such as Angel Gardens, part of the NOMA masterplan, to working on large-scale mixed use regeneration schemes, our thinking extends beyond the day to day delivery of transactional and advisory legal services to provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions. Our multidisciplinary team advises on development across residential, commercial, retail and mixed use real estate.
What you'll be doing:
We have plans to grow and an exciting opportunity has arisen for an Associate (3-5 years' PQE) to join our Investment & Development team in Manchester focussing primarily on commercial property work.
Work will include: asset management work for a variety of clients from pension funds to local authorities. Occupier lease work for a number of clients including Registered Providers, charities and private companies. The work will also include the property side of development work for the Department for Education as they seek to build new schools. The team often assists other teams within the firm on large scale projects for M&A work and large scale commercial refinancing.
Some of the team's recent transactions have included the acquisition of a large industrial park in Leicestershire, the acquisition of a care home business with multiple sites and the development of over 15 schools in 2019.
- Involvement in property aspects of development and regeneration schemes;
- Advising and undertaking acquisitions of development sites for mixed use schemes for public and private sector developers;
- Drafting title and contract reports;
- Undertaking a mix of property work including acquisitions, disposals, leases and licences;
- Setting up the legal pack for the lettings on various sites.
- Delivering training sessions and seminars to clients;
- Legal research;
- Running own files;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Active participation in client and business development activities;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions; and
- Training and development of junior lawyers (where appropriate).
What you'll need:
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade and beyond. In particular, for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery; and
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Credibility; and
- Flexibility and can do attitude.
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified Solicitor with at least 3-5 years' post qualification experience in commercial property work
- Good team player.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.