Commercial Finance Analyst
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area - Financial Management
Role: Commercial Finance Analyst
Location: Role based in Glasgow.
Occasional travel to London office
Reporting to: Senior Financial Planning and Analysis Manager (London)
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 9.00-17.30, however will be required to work such hours as are necessary to perform duties
- Reporting to the Senior FP&A Manager the CFA will:
- Support the EMEA/US Divisional Business Managers (based in London);
- Co-ordinate the work-in-progress management activities of individual Practice executives at a practice/division level; and
- Work closely with the UK legal project management, billing, e-billing and rates operations teams to ensure seamless working capital management processes
- The primary focus of the Commercial Finance Analyst (CFA) is to support the firm's client/matter life cycle, including:
- Client reporting both regular and adhoc
- Producing financial reports and analysis;
- Supporting pre-billing processes
- Matter pricing and resource planning
- The role requires extensive interaction with stakeholders in the legal and central teams and therefore a professional, confident, enthusiastic and solution based approach is essential.
- Produce reports and prepare analysis to support pitching, pricing and matter planning activities, including Client panel proposals.
- Ensure that the terms of client agreements are applied correctly and consistently on the practice management system and are understood by all key stakeholders.
- Manage the collection of client specific information to ensure matters can be processed efficiently and compliant with client terms for billing.
- Monitor the progress of matters compared to financial budgets, ensure regular check-ins with Partners, lawyers and Practice executives to maximise revenue and drive profitable outcomes.
- Provide direct financial support to Partners and lawyers and respond to requests for client and matter related information, including profitability analysis, from Divisional business managers and Business development (BD) teams.
- Oversee the monthly billing and revenue pipeline forecasting exercises.
- Produce regular financial reports to be sent to the firm's clients.
- Produce ad hoc financial reports and analysis to support the Divisional business managers.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of processes and share information of Commercial finance developments with business teams.
- Prepare and deliver training of financial tools and reports to legal and other business teams.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Analytical and numerate.
- Flexible, with the ability to work to very tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of an organisation.
- Good system skills, including knowledge of excel skills (including basic formula such as vlookups, pivots) and an ability to explore systems capability plus working knowledge of Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to identify and escalate areas of risk to the Senior FP&A manger
- Prepared to travel to London as and when required.
- Previous experience in a business partnering role/professional services environment desirable.
- Ability to challenge the status quo.