Business Development Manager - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Development & Marketing (BD&M)
Business Development Manager, Digital Economy
Head of BD
Ashurst's Global Business Development and Marketing (BD&M) team is located in major cities across EMEA, Asia Pacific and US . We execute the firm's clients and markets strategy driving profitable growth with a specific focus on our chosen sectors and priority clients. We are in the midst of a global BD&M transformation aimed at improving our client experience, driving marketing campaigns, leveraging data analytics and client insights, significantly enhancing operational excellence and building out new BD&M capabilities.
We are a diverse team combining various personalities, cultural upbringing and professional backgrounds spanning the range of business to business, professional services and hands-on industry expertise. Our different perspectives and experiences enhance the outcomes we achieve and make us a fun and adaptable team. To be the most progressive law firm, you need the most progressive global BD&M team. Being a part of this team means being a part of a forward-thinking and dynamic team inspiring you and those around you to be the best you can. And together, help to lead the way in setting new standards for BD&M in the legal landscape.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) will be a part of our global Business Development & Marketing team focusing on the Digital Economy group. The role is to be based in London on a 1 year contract to cover parental leave.
The BDM works in conjunction with the Digital Economy practice and industry partners to deliver on the practice and industry growth goals by:
- Supporting the development of the Digital Economy go-to-market strategy
- Driving and managing the effective execution of the strategy and day-to-day team business development activities
- Managing specified priority client accounts, ensuring relationships and growth targets are met or exceeded year-on-year
- Executing and supporting strategically important pursuits
- Work with the head of the practice to develop and execute the Digital Economy strategy and initiatives
- Manage and support the entire opportunity pursuit process, including managing opportunity databases and preparing client-focused sales collateral
- Collaborate with other BDMs to identify cross-sell and cross-border opportunities
- Lead the directory and award process in line with the practice strategy and ensuring deadlines are met
- Support all major client opportunities including pitches and proposals, working with the bids team
- Lead and coach the Digital Economy BD Executive
Client Relationship Management
- Work with Client Relationship Partners on client facing activities to help deepen relationships and drive profitable growth
- Support Client Relationship Partners to develop and execute client account plans on the designated clients
- Conduct and capture client feedback through client listening, matter and tender debriefs
- Coordinate and liaise with other CRMs to ensure consistency and sharing of strategic information across clients and industries
Pursuit and Opportunity Management
- Manage the panel proposal processes for both designated clients and/or strategically important pitches within the group
- Coordinate and manage pipeline development with the Client Relationship Partners within the designated client accounts
- Support the capture of pursuit and bid metrics (win/loss and qualitative data) and provide insights to enable better decision making process
Essential skills and experience:
- Previous experience in a professional services BD environment (5+ years' experience)
- Tertiary qualification in business or related relevant field
- Demonstrated leadership experience for both coaching teams and managing major projects and/or initiatives
- Commercial awareness and an innovative mind-set for developing and evolving ways of working
- Enthusiastic and proactive, with the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects and activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively interact with peers and influence internal clients including senior stakeholders
- Strategic thinker with strong focus on execution
- Ability to build positive and collaborative working relationships with the BD&M and legal teams